Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,679   Online: 736

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Self contained contact printing devices...

These come up on Ebay once in a blue moon and look like a good solution for someone without a real darkroom...but I know absolutely nothing about them. Is it such a good solution? I imagine that dodging and burning isn't something you can really do when using one of these things.

Another question, though, is this: how easy would it be to convert something like that for alternative processes? I know that times would likely be longer due to having to use lower wattage bulbs, but I'm assuming that, baring that, it would work decently. There's also always the rewiring route, but in that case I'd be better off building something.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you refering to the Daylab units?

Rick

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    or do you mean an old fashion contact printer. a steel box with a light bulb and lid ?

you could use one of these types for alternative processes if you can find the light type as a tube won't work, but sprial uv blubs can be found.

If it is a daylab unit. no
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, I'm thinking the old metal boxes. I had a feeling that it would work reasonably well for alt process stuff (and I have all the chemicals I need for salt printing at the moment...it's just waiting to be mixed up), but I don't really think that using it for silver printing would work. I thought about it last night while trying to get to sleep (as I often do) and figured out that it would only really be useful for straight prints. If I wanted to do any sort of dodging or burning I'd be better off with the Weston bare bulb method.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There were some with individually switched multiple bulbs that could be used for dodging and burning, though I think it would be pretty awkward.
    A light bulb over a standard contact printing frame seems much easer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So for standard silver printing, bare 15 watter it is. The general feeling for using them for alt processes, though...yea? It would be quite fun to finally get to do my salt printing. This winter has just NOT been very good for any alt process work you have to do in sunlight.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a Compco 4X5 contact printer. As mentioned above, its just a steel box with bulb and a lever press for neg+paper sandwiched over glass opening. Requires very slow paper such as AZO/Lodima.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, then it's out for normal printing for me, then, as I really can't afford to get ahold of Lodima right now. I'm still going to look at it a bit more if I can find one for a decent price for UV exposure. I wonder how high wattage I could really put in the thing.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you can use that for uv light, just find the proper bulb. try bostick and sullivan , i just can't remember who is selling a light for alternative processing that isn't a tube, but they are available.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a late 60's early 70's moulded plastic 4x5 contact printer that came with 3 7W old style outdoor christmas lighting type lamps in it. The red one is on while the lid is open, and the two white ones come on when the lid is depressed.

I converted it to use fixed grade projection speed paper before the right deal on a 4x5 enlarger came my way to allow me to print my 4x5 negs. Iguess if I had a set of Ilford 6x6" mg filters I could print with MG papers too.

I took the two white bulbs and wired them in series in lieu of the OEM parallel connection to drop their light and heat output, and then used sheets of .3 Neutral Density lighting gel (find a theatrical supplier, or B&H- they are the low 90 series in Rosco's line) under the glass to further trim the output to get 8-25 second printing times.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin