Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,598   Online: 1109

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Took the plunge

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I made proof sheets just to get an overall sense of the image, and to aid in the tracking down specific negatives, as I kept the proof sheet and the sheet of negatives together.

Eventually, and no better time to start, one learns how to judge the negative by the negative. This will be especially true for the LF negatives -- gorgeous things on a light table! Stare at enough negatives and make enough prints from them and one's brain starts to invert the image -- one sees the negative as a positive. Or at least that is the way this old guy sees it. I don't make proofs of my 8x10's anymore, actually I never have. For one, I prefer to "read" the negative rather than a print, especially since I print alt processes and a silver print would not tell me much. Second, my negs I use for alt process tend to be very high contrast and make for crappy looking proofs. And lastly, carbon printing reverses the image, so I can just put the negative emulsion-side up on the light table to see what a carbon print would look like, then flip the neg over to see what a platinum print would look like.

But basically, I love looking at negatives, and I am too lazy to make proofs...

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Photobizz:

did you win the orange 8x10 contact frame on ebay yesterday(or the day before), the one in san dimas, ca?

if so, darn you . I was gunning for that one, since I could pick it up in person.

oh well, I got the same one, just a different one today on here, just a tad more $$ wise . no worries, just wonderin'

-Dan

No I bought a brand new Photographers Formulary 8X10 contact frame from BHPhoto for $52. But I did ask the guy a question about that frame and it seems that it was actually a bit smaller than 8X10 on the inside so I wouldn't have been able to get two 4X5 negs inside at the same time. Kind of defeats the purpose so I passed on it.
    Last edited by photobizzz; 03-30-2010 at 02:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    35mm
    I am pretty decent at looking at a negative and being able to see the positive, just like to have the proof or contact sheet to be able to show my wife or to be able to scan to post on my webpage since I cant afford a scanner to do 120 or 4X5.
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by photobizzz View Post
    I guess BHPhoto will be closed for a week due to some holiday.
    That's Passover, the holiday recounted in the Old Testament book of Exodus when we gather to celebrate Charlton Heston's victory over Yul Brynner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by henryp View Post
    That's Passover, the holiday recounted in the Old Testament book of Exodus when we gather to celebrate Charlton Heston's victory over Yul Brynner.

Happy Passover Henry, and thanks for your participation here.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by henryp View Post

dude,

rotflmao!!!!!!

-Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin