Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,678   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Aste, are you gonna share your 35mm contact prints?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd like to, but I don't have a scanner right now. Maybe, I should go down to the electronics store and see what they have. Anyway, if I get them online I'll let you know.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hmmm...film and paper, or an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/dishwasher/trouser press, because they don't sell a just a simple scanner anymore.

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to leave it to your imagination.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Lol... maybe someday

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Love small prints and just got the Kertesz Early years book of contact prints. I'm hoping to start contact printing 645 size. Not having done much conventional printing (I've been mostly developing and scanning negs) I'm looking for a way to start conventional printing and as I'm about to move house am not ready to get a darkroom/enlarger going yet.
    To get going it's been suggested I use Fotospeed MG RC paper and selenium tone it (I was told it works better than Ilford RC for this). But would a graded paper be more suitable?
    How would others go about it without getting to exotic (I'm not ready for Pyro, Amidol etc...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd like to try the Lodima paper...when I'm a better at all this. For now, I'm using the Ilford MGIV RC. It seems like a good place to start.
    Last edited by aste; 05-17-2010 at 05:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxBrownie View Post
    Love small prints and just got the Kertesz Early years book of contact prints. I'm hoping to start contact printing 645 size. Not having done much conventional printing (I've been mostly developing and scanning negs) I'm looking for a way to start conventional printing and as I'm about to move house am not ready to get a darkroom/enlarger going yet.
    To get going it's been suggested I use Fotospeed MG RC paper and selenium tone it (I was told it works better than Ilford RC for this). But would a graded paper be more suitable?
    How would others go about it without getting to exotic (I'm not ready for Pyro, Amidol etc...)
    Many people suggest using RC paper for contact prints if they're for making contact sheets of rollfilm negatives, for general perusal and such. But for finished prints I'd suggest going with fiber-based paper. It doesn't take any more room, just a bit longer washing time, but the results are much better. If you like Kertesz's prints, fiber paper is going to look closer to what he printed with. I'd recommend any of the eastern-European brands for a good start. I like the look of glossy fiber paper. A bit of selenium toning can add that special look.

Good luck and hope to see your results.

~Joe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe VanCleave View Post
    Many people suggest using RC paper for contact prints if they're for making contact sheets of rollfilm negatives, for general perusal and such. But for finished prints I'd suggest going with fiber-based paper. It doesn't take any more room, just a bit longer washing time, but the results are much better. If you like Kertesz's prints, fiber paper is going to look closer to what he printed with. I'd recommend any of the eastern-European brands for a good start. I like the look of glossy fiber paper. A bit of selenium toning can add that special look.

Good luck and hope to see your results.

~Joe
    What kind of differences could be expected from fiber based as opposed to RC?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    longer tonal range, and a more stable image over time.

as long as its stored properly after being thoroughly washed

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    longer tonal range
    That get's my attention.

I see a multi-grade, FB offering from Ilford, Kentmere and Oriental. I'm guessing there are more. Anyone have a particular recommendation?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin