Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,085   Online: 765

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

making a larger negative....

I spent a good while reading the Digital Negative thread in the Alt process forum and also the thread started abotu Re-Defining APUG that sean started.
    on about page 4 or so of the Redefining APUG thread there was mention of traditionally enlarging negatives for contact printing.
    I attempted a search but dont know what keywords to use to bring of what has undoubtedly been discussed previously in the APUG community.
    I have many a 4x5 negative that Id like to enlarge to 8x10 or 11x14 negatives to contact print and perhaps experiment with alternative processes. I read the digital negative thread but am more curious of the traditional manner of enlarging a negative and creating a negative from that negative and the means and ways to do this.

any help or links to past threads or other websites or books would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks so much david.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used Bergger BPFB 18 Ortho film for this and the great advantage with this type of film is that it can be used with a red safelight. Ordinary sheet film can also be used but there are obvious drawbacks.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bob Herbst article at Unblinking Eye describes a traditional method for enlarged negatives. It seems simpler than some of the digi-neg methods (especially if you include all the post-scan photoshop work) & alot cheaper if you have an enlarger. I've used imagesetter negs for contact prints on Azo, but disliked the loss of process control & will be trying Herbst method soon. If you're looking to sell prints, a traditional 8X10 contact print should be a good, price-leader for enlarged prints.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Images
    It is a tough process to get right but you can make a negative better than it originally was. It can also get expensive in the learning stage if you do not control the process. I have seen 20x24 negs made from 2 1/4 originals that were cool. the problem with the process is you have the whole enlargement issue of losing sharpness. SUpposedly the digital neg gets rid of this problem. Going from 4x5 to 8x10 should not be a problem at all. If you do it well there should be no loss of sharpness. Good luck. I have made a few and I thought the process was fun, and working with film in a manner that you can watch what happens the whole time is quite neat as the silver developes.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Bob Herbst article at Unblinking Eye describes a traditional method for enlarged negatives. It seems simpler than some of the digi-neg methods (especially if you include all the post-scan photoshop work) & alot cheaper if you have an enlarger. I've used imagesetter negs for contact prints on Azo, but disliked the loss of process control & will be trying Herbst method soon. If you're looking to sell prints, a traditional 8X10 contact print should be a good, price-leader for enlarged prints.
    I am jsut getting into making some inter-positives using Ilford Ortho Plus developed in D-76. One thing that Bob mentioins in his article and that I'm finding out, is that the inter-positive needs to be of low-contrast. And I mean really low contrast. I have produced some interpositives that push Grade 2 Azo to the limit in terms of density range. And to the eye, the interpositives don't look contrasty at all. If there were prints, I'd want to add a LOT more contrast to them. I'll be back in the darkroom tonight making interpositives of much lower contrast. With the ones I have now, when I read the densities on my densitometer I get a range of about 1.00 (as I recall) and that appears to be way too much.

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Bob Herbst article at Unblinking Eye describes a traditional method for enlarged negatives.
    Let me also suggest another article on the unblinkingeye.com site on making enlarged negatives by reversal processing, at http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/NbyR/nbyr.html

Ed Buffaloe's procedure follow rather closely an ingenious method develped by Liam Lawless and published in Post Factory Photograpy some years ago. I used Liam's method for several years and can state for a fact that this method works quite well.

There is somewhat less control with the reversal process than with the positive/negative method but there are also some advantages.

From purely economic point of view this method of making enlarged negatives for alternative printing is clearly less expensive than making digital negatives

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Does anyone know if AGFA Gevarex is still available? I got about 100 (9.5 x 12") sheets of this with my 18x24cm camera. It's a continuous tone, variable contrast orthochromatic copy film.

I've now found a source of MACO UP100+ in 18x24cm, so I can use the Gevarex for what it's intended for
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing I found works really well for enlarged negatives, is in the first inter positive. Instead of buying fresh ortho film for it, watch ebay for really out dated ortho or copy film. You want a flat negative at this stage, and the out dated film works beautifully.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin