Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,811   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Ian- one way to cut down on the backlog is to switch to ULF - I can only shoot 6 sheets of 14x17 in a day .
    Or even 8x10. Last winter I was up for a printing session and realized I had printed every 8x10 negative I had (less than 50 at the time) and had nothing to do.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to get bored with one aspect or another so I'll switch between shooting and printing. Either way pretty much all of my spare time is dedicated to photography. I also try to spend time going back over negatives that I ignored on the first edit. Sometimes I find a gem.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Or even 8x10. Last winter I was up for a printing session and realized I had printed every 8x10 negative I had (less than 50 at the time) and had nothing to do.
    At least two thirds of my backlog are 8x10 negatives. There are perhaps about 30-40 11x14 and 10x12; the rest are 4x5. I'm not counting the small format stuff for which I'll probably use an 'electro-optical' process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been diligent about printing, starting last fall. I have been able to keep within a week or two of my negatives and it is a very exciting way to work, for me.

I too had a backlog, still do. I just decided "from this day forward I will keep up". That way, the backlog becomes a fixed, not growing quantity. Now it seems manageable, it's even slowly dwindling!

Of course another problem for me is that I'm a better printer now than I was even a few years ago so there's the temptation to go back and improve things.... of course that's another matter. =)

Good luck! Missed your lovely work in the gallery, glad to see you posting here again.

All the best. Shawn

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course I make my final prints primarily on Lodima/Azo so it's a hell of a lot easier for me!

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like having a modest backlog of film awaiting the darkroom. It's existence reminds me that there are images I haven't even seen yet, and that I will have some happy surprises awaiting.

But there is such a thing as too much, at least for me. Exactly what that means is a personal decision. Whatever "too much" is, when "too much" film has accumulated undeveloped, I go into lab rat mode and whittle it down some. The "enough work" or "too much work" categorizations function as an inventory control system so that I always have some photo work available, but not an overwhelming mass of undeveloped or unprinted work piling up.

Not having any darkroom work awaiting me means that any dearth of shooting opportunities would bring me to a complete halt.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My system is a little different in that I don't proof anything, just read the negatives and print the best. Some are easy to eliminate on initial reading, and others on the first print. With years of experience, I know pretty much if I have a keeper or a looser without spending a lot of time. There is of course a downside, occasionally I will return to an elimated negative years later to find that I missed something; fortunately, this seldom happens.

Another part of my system immediately following a shooting spree, is to lock myself in the darkroom until all processing and printing has been completed. This is the part of the process that Brett Weston referred to as "drudgery". I recently completed a five week camera trip through England and Scotland, with two solid weeks spent in the darkroom upon return. Most of the printing is complete, with twenty-five prints mounted up. This is really the only way I can evaluate my work; some of the prints fall short, and will be redone.

However, I have earned my reward. The reward is getting back into the field to start the process over again!

Backlog or not, your work is excellent!

Merg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i can't really suggest how to better use your time and resources.
    i have a backlog that goes back maybe 9 years LOL
    its all processed and proofed but i don't have any time to make more than
    a print once in a blue moon
    i enjoy your work a lot and look forward to you digging into your
    backlog and printing some more

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the scanner for a proofer. I only use just enough resolution to be able to judge them and it makes the scans go really fast. Then I catalogue the scans in Lightroom. It helps to keep me organized. I go back later and print the ones that are good in the darkroom. I only use the computer for organizing images and not for output. There is nothing worse than having stacks of proof prints to go through to see which ones need to be reprinted an then having to go dig up the negatives. I know this is not totally analogue, but by doing it this way, I can go straight to the good stuff and not waste time on the marginal images. Lightroom is the only thing in the "digital revolution" that has helped me with analogue photography.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin