Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 745

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Michael,

When processing these proof prints do you use the same routine as for finished prints? In effect, tone with selenium, two fixes etc.

thanks,
    chris

When I proof, I only fix them for 30 seconds. The proofs then get a first wash and are hung on a line--NOT put on the drying screens.

The whole proofing process is quick--two to three hours for a couple of hundred new 8x10s. The point at this stage is to see what you saw on the ground glass--not to agonize over getting a great print. All proofs get made on the softest grade of paper to show all information in the negative. When you go to make finished prints you can usually easily tell what grade of paper to use by the relative degree of contrast on the softest grade of paper.

Hope that is helpful.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    When I proof, I only fix them for 30 seconds. The proofs then get a first wash and are hung on a line--NOT put on the drying screens.

The whole proofing process is quick--two to three hours for a couple of hundred new 8x10s. The point at this stage is to see what you saw on the ground glass--not to agonize over getting a great print. All proofs get made on the softest grade of paper to show all information in the negative. When you go to make finished prints you can usually easily tell what grade of paper to use by the relative degree of contrast on the softest grade of paper.

Hope that is helpful.

Michael A. Smith
    Do you think your speed of proofing is at least partly down to focusing on one workflow; i.e. contact prints on Lodima / Azo from large format negatives?

Tom

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin