Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,564   Online: 934

Thread: Screened Film

Shooter
    35mm

Screened Film

Hello all,

Not sure where to start searching. Maybe I can be pointed to the right archives, or someone can share their experience. I can make high resolution film at work for my commercial printing plate making process. I'd like to use it to make large contact prints. Since the output is full contrast only - no tones - the only gradation would come from a dot screen, or a Diffusion Dither screen that I apply in photoshop to a bitmap TIFF. Does anybody work this way? Any pointers for a beginner? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a pre-screened litho film in the early 70's for special effects it worked well even enlarged. However I wanted to see medium to large dots and I was enlarging.

It's really an question/answer for the HybridPhoto forum, but as I've used this system fully analog anyway it's the same answer. You are only ever going to be able to make contact prints that look at their best like a single colour litho print, with regards to dot pattern. Remember high quality B&W books are usually Duotone, and some are full 4 plate colour.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    hmm. How fun would it be to use pin register, and print duotone using multi grade paper?
    So many ways to experiment.I've thought of enlarging small negatives to get big dots. That must have been fun for you. Was it productive too?

I'll search the hybrid photo forum - didn't even occur to me it was a category. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is off topic for APUG, but I think you have a good answer, and would suggest you have a look through the archives or ask over at our sister site, Hybrid Photo.

http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/home.php

(whoa... didn't hear you typing, Elias!! Hope you can find your information there!)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin