Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,350   Online: 1060

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Fomalux 111

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    What would we all be printing with if M&P said "screw it"? Glad that we did not have to face that music.
    And they could have easily said that. They have no need of Lodima for their personal work. They did it all for the benefit of the art.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Michael: The price of Ilfobrom graded FB paper is not very different from the price of the Lodima paper. I agree with you about Lodima, but the reality is that there are increasing numbers of analog photographers who DO find that the cost of materials is becoming a very real issue. Hence, it is possible that Lodima paper will find decreasing use even if the Fomalux is not as good. If Fomalux were to be produced in another grade then users of such paper would learn to make their negatives so as to print better on the Fomalux paper. Moreover, the ins and outs of using the proper bulb and print exposing methods would also be honed. Fomalux would probably NEVER be "as good" as Lodima, but might present a real alternative that could decrease the use of the Lodima. Such decreased usage would be, to my mind, a very severe risk to the continuation of the Lodima paper on the market. I will NOT be switching from Lodima to Fomalux, and I agree with you when you opined that Lodima should be supported.
    This is the classic price and quality marketing analysis. I hear what you are saying and clearly your points are well taken.

The same set of circumstances are in play in all aspects of photography. Generic chemicals vs Kodak. Efke sheet film is less expensive than Kodak film but sometimes you get some bad emulsion defects with the Efke that you have to deal with. Sadly the net effect of increased demand for Efke is that it has just recently undergone a serious price increase that starts to make the previous no brainer decision a tougher call. We all know that Kodak TMY, TMX or Tri X are a consistent, clean and dependable product but clearly the higher cost alternative. Many time it is the MUCH higher alternative. Ilford fits in between these price points nicely. Ditto for Lodima relative to the single grade Foma 111. I hope that Foma makes more grades of their finer based contact paper so that there is a lower price point alternative as I do not believe that this is a bad thing at all for Lodima. It all comes down to the price point of the individual photographers that make decisions as to the materials that they opt to use based upon their individual circumstances. In a perfect world we would all buy the best materials to make images we chose to make. In the real world we all have kids to put through college, utility bills to pay, mortgages to cover and a wide range of additional financial responsibilities that can constrain our ability to purchase photographic materials and participate in this art form to the degree that we would like. Many times the compromise is that lower priced film and paper are the only viable alternative and the challenge is to make the best out of it.

At the end of the day I hope that everyone is able to find the best solution for them that will continue to allow them to make images and participate in what we all dearly enjoy. Freestyle is dialed into this mind set and has located many materials that are very competitively priced all things considered.

Ten years ago many people predicted that film would not make it to this point let alone paper. Thankfully they were wrong.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This is the classic price and quality marketing analysis. I hear what you are saying and clearly your points are well taken.

The same set of circumstances are in play in all aspects of photography. Generic chemicals vs Kodak. Efke sheet film is less expensive than Kodak film but sometimes you get some bad emulsion defects with the Efke that you have to deal with. Sadly the net effect of increased demand for Efke is that it has just recently undergone a serious price increase that starts to make the previous no brainer decision a tougher call. We all know that Kodak TMY, TMX or Tri X are a consistent, clean and dependable product but clearly the higher cost alternative. Many time it is the MUCH higher alternative. Ilford fits in between these price points nicely. Ditto for Lodima relative to the single grade Foma 111. I hope that Foma makes more grades of their finer based contact paper so that there is a lower price point alternative as I do not believe that this is a bad thing at all for Lodima. It all comes down to the price point of the individual photographers that make decisions as to the materials that they opt to use based upon their individual circumstances. In a perfect world we would all buy the best materials to make images we chose to make. In the real world we all have kids to put through college, utility bills to pay, mortgages to cover and a wide range of additional financial responsibilities that can constrain our ability to purchase photographic materials and participate in this art form to the degree that we would like. Many times the compromise is that lower priced film and paper are the only viable alternative and the challenge is to make the best out of it.

At the end of the day I hope that everyone is able to find the best solution for them that will continue to allow them to make images and participate in what we all dearly enjoy. Freestyle is dialed into this mind set and has located many materials that are very competitively priced all things considered.

Ten years ago many people predicted that film would not make it to this point let alone paper. Thankfully they were wrong.
    I agree with you Michael,
    I gave up to use Efke for the inconsistent quality of films(some good other not) and I came back to kodak or Ilford. The price question is important but now I found my way chosing materials with more consistence even if sometimes the price goes up. I'm so happy to use Lodima paper, but for curiosity I bought also the foma 111(but I not tried yet) and I don't think it will be a rival for Lodima.
    Now I have enough Lodima and Azo paper to print but If will be a second run of Lodima I'm sure I'm getting it.

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Silverprint are now stocking this paper; http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=1126

AJH

Shooter
    35mm
    Seems there is plenty choice of Fomalux in the FOMA.cz webshop http://fomaobchod.cz/

It is in `Ce`stina . Hard to tell if they ship EU or the World.
    If they are clever they will

I hope to check out FOMA at Photokina 2012 Köln

BTW I am quite sure Lodima comes from EU (Bohemia)

Shooter
    35mm
    Foma has a network of importers and stockists all over the place. There should be no problem getting hold of the materials! Look on the manufacturers website for the one nearest you. There are also several internet/mailorder stockists in Europe who will ship anywhere (macodirect, ag-photographic etc. etc).

AJH

Shooter
    35mm
    Indeed, it was more to my surprise that there is so much FOMAlux

And yeah, there is even an APUG advertiser http://www.fomafoto.com/index.php?op...tpage&Itemid=1 in this thread who is very much FOMA

Oddly enough from Norway. Not even EU member.

Even with ciné film

Nice prices but will these be importable into EU without red-tape and duties?
    I had some real trouble purchasing goods from Switserland. Non- EU too
    but are associated and member of a customs-union or something.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are inside the EU and want a supplier without VAT and import-duty problems then any of the online stockists (as per post 106) will do the job. I have used both of those I mentioned without any problem, and I forgot to mention Fotoimpex who have a massive range of just about everything. There is no shortage of outlets, only (somewhat) a shortage of manufacturers!

EDIT: At least Macodirect have Fomalux in stock right now - I just looked on their website. The country-based distributors should also have it, or be able to order it.
    Last edited by MartinP; 08-08-2012 at 03:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

I hope that the paper imperfections you saw were a random occurrence. Quite honestly the Foma paper is a good thing because it potentially could translate to a broader exposure to contacting printing by people that are intrigued by the process.

In my very peripheral involvement of the project offering my assistance wherever I could to help out, I learned how complicated the process is to produce a sliver chloride paper let alone a modern quality silver chloride paper. Looking historically at this paper nearly every photographic paper manufacturer in the good old days had some form of this product in the market and as a result many formulas were developed and tweeked as a function of time. The introduction of variable contrast papers and improvements in making enlargements slowly reduced the silver chloride papers market until just Azo was left.

Where my respect for Lodima begins is where the sad story of POP ends.

POP did not have a "Michael and Paula" aligned with this product so we did not have a choice but to accept the news as the terminal condition it turned out to be. That is what makes Lodima so special.

I wish it was not as expensive as it turned out to be but when you bring a new product to the market from scratch, it is what it is. What would we all be printing with if M&P said "screw it"? Glad that we did not have to face that music.
    Well said Michael. Agree completely.

Elliot

AJH

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Well said Michael. Agree completely.

Elliot
    ??? A quote from 2 years ago.

I merely thought to put a note to the end of this thread to let people know Fomalux is plentiful. Which is good news.
    Not to wake the dead or an old argument.

Good luck, now see. Wait for the Photokina it is only a month or just get an envelope 20x25 sofort?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin