Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,514   Online: 1007

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fomalux 111

Agreed....one need only go to a plus development situation to add the needed density-if desired-on a negative to be used for printing on Lodima paper. We are all aware of the continuing arguments both "for and against" staining developers. Not opening that can of worms again here!

Agree also about the thinner negatives. Assuming the exposure of the shadows is adequate, then one need only use a less powerful bulb.

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Interesting. I've been loading up my amidol with extra KBr in order to warm up Lodima. I've found it is one of the most lovely colors I've been able to achieve with any paper. Maybe it will have the same effect on this Foma.... my somewhat limited experience with Azo has show it does no warm up much with the same formula... of course my Azo is vintage so that might have something to do with it. Thanks, Trevor.
    I made my first prints from the production Lodima last week using 3 ml/liter of KBr and the color is not warm enough. That is what I used for Azo and was very pleased with the results. It also worked for the test run of Lodima from a couple of years ago. The new Lodima prints looked a little "off" and when I held them up to some Azo prints of mine (and some M&P Azo prints I have) the difference was obvious.

I need to run some tests with increasing amounts of KBr to see what works. How much have you had to use to get the color you like?

Thanks!

Thanks Henry. I have used the Amidol formula that Michael and Paula included with the Lodima paper. I have little experience ( aside from a few sheets ) of working with the older Azo paper. The color of the Lodima prints seems perfect to me. Then again, lacking your experience precludes my making any in-depth evaluations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by henrysamson View Post
    I made my first prints from the production Lodima last week using 3 ml/liter of KBr and the color is not warm enough. That is what I used for Azo and was very pleased with the results. It also worked for the test run of Lodima from a couple of years ago. The new Lodima prints looked a little "off" and when I held them up to some Azo prints of mine (and some M&P Azo prints I have) the difference was obvious.

I need to run some tests with increasing amounts of KBr to see what works. How much have you had to use to get the color you like?

Thanks!
    I don't mix up a 10% solution, I just crush up the KBr and add it right to the amildol. I use about 2 grams in 500ml (I've been printing mostly 4x5's lately). This is a significant increase... I also use 5 grams of amidol in 500ml, this was originally intended to make up for what I felt was lost in filtering the Chinese amidol through a coffee filter but might also be compensating for the extra KBr.... I don't know the science, just what looks good to me. =)

All the best. Shawn

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't mix up a 10% solution, I just crush up the KBr and add it right to the amildol. I use about 2 grams in 500ml (I've been printing mostly 4x5's lately). This is a significant increase... I also use 5 grams of amidol in 500ml, this was originally intended to make up for what I felt was lost in filtering the Chinese amidol through a coffee filter but might also be compensating for the extra KBr.... I don't know the science, just what looks good to me. =)

All the best. Shawn
    Yikes! That's about 13 times what I use. I plan to pick a negative and make several prints (all exposed the same) and increase the KBr in the tray by 1 ml for each print and then compare them after they are toned and dried. But your comments regarding the color intrigue me. So for a last print I may increase it to what you are using just to see the result. Do you end up with a very warm print?

I bought a "lifetime supply" of the Chinese amidol and also filter it through a coffee filter. I don't increase the amount because I assume what is left on the filter is some sort of impurity. Since it does not dissolve it is not a factor in developing (just staining!). But, the amount left in the filter is included when I weigh the stuff and it is not amidol so perhaps my logic is flawed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I mentioned it's been suggested to me that I might be making up for the extra KBr by increasing the amidol. I have no idea. I just like the way the prints look. The color is warm and I tone in selenium at 1:50 for about 3 minutes.

I think your experiment sounds like a great idea. Good luck!

Shawn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    It is now available from Freestyle, and yes, it is a true silver chloride paper.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by henrysamson View Post
    I made my first prints from the production Lodima last week using 3 ml/liter of KBr and the color is not warm enough.
    Well that's somewhat distressing. Did you buy one of the test boxes when they were selling those? My experience parallels Shawn's. That test run yielded the most beautiful print color ever in amidol. The only prints I've seen on the production Lodima were ones made by Michael Smith and the color was perhaps not quite as warm as what I'd gotten with the test stuff, but still very nice. I'm fairly certain I could warm it up a little with a bit more KBr.
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Did you buy one of the test boxes when they were selling those?
    Yes, I have printed on the test run paper. I liked it although the color was not the same as Azo the difference was only noticeable to me if I held the prints side by side. No where near as noticeable as what I see with the production Lodima. I also processed it just like Azo. I hope to head back out into the darkroom this weekend and will try again.

I love the paper weight of the new Lodima. It is thicker than single weight but not as thick as most double weight papers. Hard to damage when wet but easy to trim and dry mount.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use about 2 grams in 500ml (I've been printing mostly 4x5's lately). This is a significant increase...
    Quite an understatement. Using MAS's formula, you would be adding 0.15 grams (1.5ml of a 10% solution) to your 500ml of working solution. Your recipe is equivalent to adding 40ml of 10% KBr to the MAS 1 liter working solution of amidol.
    Jim

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin