Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,840   Online: 990

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Fomalux 111

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I gave it a brief trial yesterday.
    It is very fast for a contact paper - just over 4 stops faster than Azo. The Grade 2 compares with a approximately Grade 3 1/2 Oriental. The blacks are nice and deep although I have not yet measure D-max. It seems to work best with very soft negatives. ANy normal paper developer works well - Dektol, LPD, etc.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    I have so much Azo/Lodima I've decided to put together a notebook. The notebook contains images all made from the same negative but using different emulsions of Azo/Lodimia paper in different developers. Early on I noticed how much different Azo looked when developed in Dektol, Amidol or Neutol WA. I figure some day I'll have an image that just screams for a particular tone. I expect the notebook to help me decide just what combination of paper/developer will fill that need.
    Is your notebook done? If so, I'd like to drive down to see it.
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Am I missing something here? My Chinese Amidol turns the prints a gawd awful yellow....
    I know. And it ruins the fixer. But I can still judge the highlights fairly well.

Shawn: I once got that black, chunky stuff from Mike Jacobson. Only got it one time. That was great amidol. Definitely not the Chinese stuff.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Shawn: I once got that black, chunky stuff from Mike Jacobson. Only got it one time. That was great amidol. Definitely not the Chinese stuff.
    Yeah, it was awesome! I think I got mine cheap too, because of how it looked. Wish I could get more...

Shooter
    Large Format
    so how are you guys like the 111 paper?

./e

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Amen John!

John, what a fabulous idea....a notebook that provides guidance as to the amount of KBR, or the "correct developer", so that you can render the tone of the print according to your wishes. Such notebook might be something others using Lodima would consider buying....!

John-quick question. Have you used Amidol with the Fomalux, or another paper ( for example, EMaks ), when contact printing? One might be excused for wondering if Lodima will "always" be available and it would be nice to have a ready alternative-heaven forbid.
    Sorry, but my notebook is an edition of one :-) Seriously it wasn't too hard to do, just make a bunch of exposures from a full scale negative, develop one with Zero Kbr, have a normal darkroom session, then at the end continue adding Kbr and develop a sheet of each paper in your arsenal, add more Kbr and repeat. Probably took me about two hours total to get a pretty good selection. As I make up a different developer, I expose a few more sheets of paper and develop them in the new developer to add to the notebook. I do need to get my hands on some Ansco 130. Folks whose opinion I respect tell me they like the look of Azo in Ansco 130.

I've only used Amidol with Azo/Lodima. I've never tried a Foma paper......yet. I've got some Haloid, Velox and Convira that I need to try with amidol, but haven't yet. Something else to add to the notebook.

I'd be willing to bet that Lodima and the Foma silver chloride will disappear on the same day....
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Is your notebook done? If so, I'd like to drive down to see it.
    Jim,

MAS told me I should treat myself and view your prints. Perhaps we can get our calendars together this fall. I'd be happy to share my notebook with you.

The notebook may never be "done." A new developer means adding some additional pages.....
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have so much Azo/Lodima I've decided to put together a notebook. The notebook contains images all made from the same negative but using different emulsions of Azo/Lodimia paper in different developers. Early on I noticed how much different Azo looked when developed in Dektol, Amidol or Neutol WA. I figure some day I'll have an image that just screams for a particular tone. I expect the notebook to help me decide just what combination of paper/developer will fill that need.
    I basically did the same thing a couple of years ago with all of the various vintages and grades of Azo I have on hand. I used a 21 step tablet (instead of a negative) and the same exposure and processing for all except the last batch of #2 which I processed for 2 minutes instead of one. I put a number on each box of paper and it matches a number on the print. Not a subtle as using a negative but it lets me get close in exposure when trying a different paper by giving me a relative speed/contrast for each paper plus it was easy to see what boxes were pretty much the same.

It was an attempt to make it easier to use up all the old paper with minimal waste. I need to do this with the Lodima once I standardize my processing (KBr quantity and toning) for it.

Why? Are they made by the same company? That would be quite a surprise, at least to me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Why? Are they made by the same company? That would be quite a surprise, at least to me.
    Honestly, I haven't a clue. MAS has never stated publically, not has he told me privately where Lodima is produced. It just seems rather odd that after MAS spent 5 years trying to get a silver chloride paper produced, another silver chloride paper arrives within 6 months after Lodimas initial production run. There can't be THAT much demand for silver chloride paper.
    John Bowen

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin