Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,695   Online: 859

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Fomalux 111

I agree about the color....doubt very much if the paper is made by the same people...still and all, one does wonder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the kind words, fellows! I decided to approach the session as I normally would - new negatives and see what happens.

Speed: Foma seems to be about "2 paper towels" faster than Lodima. I clip 1 paper towel across the reflector around my clear 75 watt bulb with Lodima. I had to add 2 papper towels to get my exposure times up to around a 15 to 20 second base exposure.

Color: I used 1 gram of KBr in 500ml with 1 extra gram of amidol (Chinese) as compared to the MAS version. Color was warm similar to lodima but not quite the same. I always have a hard time describing colors so I'm not going to...

General behavior: Developed in 1 minute, worked fine with a water bath. SLIGHT curl but flattened out very quickly when wet. Dried fairly flat. I cut 8x10 sheets down to 4x5 using a RotoTrim and the edges were fine. They did not flake at any point.

Contrast: Can't be certain of the grade as I printed new negs but I would GUESSTIMATE it to be somewhere between 2.5 and 3.

Toning: This stuff takes on color FAST with KRST. I usually tone at 1:50 for 3 or 4 minutes. I pulled these prints at two minutes. Next time I will pull slightly earlier or tone at 1:100.

Intangibles: nice long scale, easy to make prints. Dodges retained micro contrast and burns were easy and not hard to cloak - not that they were extensive by any measure. Slippery Rock Creek #2 was exceptionally easy to print. Exhaust Fan was a rather crazy lighting situation and it was relatively simple to print, just a few large burns and one quick dodge.

Major downside to Fomalux 111 = Only one grade!!!

Of course I'm no scientist, my opinions are based on completely subjective criteria. I like how the prints look, I'd be proud to show them. That's what matters to me. I've received INVALUABLE information here at APUG and simply hope my initial thoughts might be useful to someone else. Of course if I've missed something or anyone has a question I'll do my best to answer.

Shawn

Great report Shawn, and I am very grateful for your efforts AND your frank comments. Would you care to venture any preliminary remarks about how the paper compares with Azo and Lodima? By the way, is the Fomalux a single or double weight paper? I found your remarks about the response in the water bath particularly compelling. Is it possible that we do have another Azo type of paper that can serve our needs? I'll order a trial pack from Freestyle. I am sure that shipping will take at least a week, but when I have a chance I'll post some additional follow up. Isn't APUG great?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well I think I'll order some. If their Grade 2 is as contrasty as everyone seems to be saying, let's hope they produce a Grade 3 in the future. That would make it roughly equivalent to my teeny tiny precious supply of Azo Grade 4. And then I'd really break out the champagne.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Great report Shawn, and I am very grateful for your efforts AND your frank comments. Would you care to venture any preliminary remarks about how the paper compares with Azo and Lodima? By the way, is the Fomalux a single or double weight paper? I found your remarks about the response in the water bath particularly compelling. Is it possible that we do have another Azo type of paper that can serve our needs? I'll order a trial pack from Freestyle. I am sure that shipping will take at least a week, but when I have a chance I'll post some additional follow up. Isn't APUG great?
    Glad I could help!

It's a double weight paper.

I would not venture a comparison... I'm no expert and there are many out there who would be better at such a thing.

I did not try an extreme water bath last night as I have done in the past with Lodima and Azo but I used a short water bath which did just what I needed it to do.

I hope MAS decides to offer a 25 pack of Lodima. I've heard from many photographers who want to try it before committing to 100 sheets. For those printing small as I do 25 sheets of 8x10 can offer quite a bit. And of course I'm too stingy to part with any of my stash =)

Yes, APUG is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    let's hope they produce a Grade 3 in the future. That would make it roughly equivalent to my teeny tiny precious supply of Azo Grade 4. And then I'd really break out the champagne.
    For sure, Jim! Grades 2 and 3 from Lodima and a Grade 4 from ANYONE and I would be one happy photographer.

A smaller trial pack might well be available. I suggest calling MAS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    A smaller trial pack might well be available. I suggest calling MAS.
    I just checked out their website and see that they do indeed offer a 25 sheet pack. I'll have to let a couple people who questioned me about it know! I bought 250 sheets of each grade and have a couple hundred sheets of the Test Run so personally I'm good for awhile.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post

Grades 2 and 3 from Lodima
    Yes, thank God Lodima's there but the Fomalux is $30.00 less per 100 sheet box!
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shawn, any idea whether Fomalux exhibits the mottle in even-toned areas some have reported with grade 2 Lodima?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Shawn, any idea whether Fomalux exhibits the mottle in even-toned areas some have reported with grade 2 Lodima?
    There was only one area of even tone in the two pictures I printed. A section of water I printed down a little under paper white in the lower right hand corner of Slippery Rock Creek #2. The print looks smooth here. Of course being such a light area, if there were a problem, maybe it would not show?

I target my negs for "grade 3" silver chloride. I've been saving a small number of "hot" negs to print on Grade 2 Lodima but have not cracked the box yet so I cannot comment on that emulsion. My grade 3 and trial run Lodima have shown no such issues.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin