Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,640   Online: 781

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Fomalux 111

HI Shawn:

I have been experimenting a bit in that I have developed negatives to print on both the Lodima grades. Thus far I have not seen problems with either grade, but the number of prints made is not sufficient to draw firm conclusions. No issues either with the "trial run". I believe I will most likely proceed as you intend, i.e., develop negatives to print on the Grade 3, with water bath development and the Grade 2 "held in reserve" as necessary.

I have ordered the Fomalux. Will not have the chance to use it for at least several weeks ( at least a week go get here )...but I will try to print the same negative on both grades of Lodima AND the Fomalux FB, and report to the thread. Unfortunately, I have no scanner-and no current plans to buy one!

With the Fomalux RC and the FB one might have a way to "proof" one's negatives at a very significant savings. The print exposure is apparently quite different, but at least one can use a NaCl paper and Amidol.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I gave this paper an informal test today. I had some contrasty (overdeveloped) 5x7 negatives on TMY that I tried to contact print on the pre-production run of Lodima (adjusted grade 3) and thought that perhaps the new Fomalux 111 at grade 2 would offer a better (softer) print. In comparing the tonality, the Fomalux 111 grade 2 had slightly more contrast that the pre-production Lodima grade 3. As Shawn noted, the Fomalux 111 paper is much faster than Lodima. I put the contact printing gear away and thought I would try some projection prints to see if the faster speed of the Fomalux 111 would allow this. I pulled some 120 TMY-2 negatives developed (in Pyrocat-HD) for standard grade 2 paper and adjusted my 23C enlarger (using a dichroic head and diffusion chamber) to allow a 7" x 7" print on a Saunders easel. I used a Nikon 80mm 5.6 lens and stopped it down to 8.0. My times were in the 120 to 150 second range. Having used Foma papers before, I was used to some slow exposure times, so this was not a problem. The resulting prints appeared to be in a range between a conventional grade 2 and grade 3 paper. For the processing, I used Ilford WT developer, which produced a slightly warm olive tone. The tonality is beautiful and I am very happy with the prints. I plan to try this paper in Amidol and Ansco 130 to see how it performs. Looking forward to more user comments.

Rick: I did some BTZS testing of the pre-production Lodima, and the new grades as well. The new Grade 3 AND the "pre-production" Grade 2 had a very similar ES on testing with the 21 Step Wedge using the MAS Amidol formula....about 1.18, untoned. The new Lodima Grade 2 had an ES of about 1.26. As you can see, neither was in the ANSI standards for the grades. However, as has been stated numerous times, the ANSI grades simply provide some guidance, and one should consider testing one's materials using the conditions in one's lab. I am developing my negatives to approximate the ES values of the paper I obtained via testing...although, to be honest, since I like prints with more "punch", I tend to develop the negatives to a point that is just a bit more contrasty. So with the Grade 2 I will develop negatives to an ES of about 1.35, and for use with the Grade 3 paper, negatives will be developed to an ES of about 1.25. Please recall that MAS did tell us that the pre-production Grade 2 printed like an Azo Grade 3 in his hands. Obviously then, the NEW Lodima "Grade 3" matched the ES of the previously mentioned Grade 2. Just a matter of semantics, but those who might be guided by the designation of Grades on the box might be surprised to learn that the NEW Lodima Grade 2 acts like a conventional Grade 1 or even softer, and one really does "need" negatives that are more dense. I will try to find the time and inclination to test the new Fomalux FB Grade 2 to see where the paper fits into the ANSI scheme. However, by your comments it might well be that the new Fomalux Grade 2 approximates an ANSI Grade 2, and could be more "true to grade". Thus, I much appreciate the information you supplied Rick.

By the way, it might be interesting to print the negatives you alluded to on the new Lodima Grade 2.....I would guess that they might print quite well!
    Last edited by Mahler_one; 08-28-2010 at 11:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    This is a bit strange, but I printed with the Fomalux on Friday, in ansco 130 and the paper did not look very good. It almost looked like there was grain! It looks like there is a texture to the paper, as if it were a platnium print, except that the paper is glossy. This leads me to believe it is some kind of coating error, like there was not enough emulsion on it, or something. I tried taking from different parts of the package, the front, the middle, and the back, but all sheets had the same issue. Since everyone else who has used this paper seems to like it, it must be an issue with my pack. I will try to post an example in the next day or too.

MC...since the Dodgers left Brooklyn nothing has ever been the same there....}.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thats what my parents keep telling me

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Is anyone else having issues with this paper?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well one thing is for sure, Shawn's results prove it is NOT Lodima under a different brand....
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    Well one thing is for sure, Shawn's results prove it is NOT Lodima under a different brand....
    Right, I don't believe they're the same. The speed and color differences have me convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Color: I used 1 gram of KBr in 500ml with 1 extra gram of amidol (Chinese) as compared to the MAS version. Color was warm similar to lodima but not quite the same. I always have a hard time describing colors so I'm not going to...
    After some more time to ponder the color - I'll say in my brew (and pre toner) the color was similar but different - warm but maybe slightly more olive toned. I'm not talking the old Azo green by any measure. Still predominantly warm but a HINT of the olive and after toning any sign of it was gone.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I don't know these papers yet, but as far as I know, harman is the easiest way to have a paper run on-demand. I guess Lodima is made by Harman, though, and Fomalux, well, you know...
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin