Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,681   Online: 1149

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    It seems like the best way to get a large negative is to either have it made by a lab or shoot a larger original. Of course if you are young and full of energy then experiment away. It looks like most of the suggestions lead to tinkering and figuring it out.
    ???

The Ultrafine Continuous Tone Duplicating positive exposes under an enlarger and develops in Dektol under a standard safelight. What could be simpler?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too bad large film is difficult to get today. I can remember using 30" x 40" PlusXpan for many years. It was a stock item at Kodak. I bought duplicating film in 48" rolls off the shelf.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I spend some time on their site just now, I didn't see a tech sheet for the duplicating process but you mentioned Dektol, have you used this process very much? This actually sounds like something I'd try for some of my older 120 negatives. I might give it a go if it works well without a lot of time spent on determining factors.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess that my query has more to it than I had expected. I knew that if I put it out here that I would get a lot of good advice and I did, now I just need to get an enlarger. I had hoped to find a lab in my area that could do the enlarging for me but it appears that this is a dying art form and that's a shame because from what I have read here, this could really enhance a film shooters arsenal of tools.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I spend some time on their site just now, I didn't see a tech sheet for the duplicating process but you mentioned Dektol, have you used this process very much? This actually sounds like something I'd try for some of my older 120 negatives. I might give it a go if it works well without a lot of time spent on determining factors.
    Curt,
    I have not had a chance to use the stuff myself, but when I picked up my 8x10 enlarger I had a discussion with the guy at the lab. They used that same material from Ultrafine in large rolls for one step in making poster-size silk screen. They exposed the sheets under orange safelight using my enlarger with an Aristo head projected on the wall. Then processed in some bulk developer (also from Ultrafine) which was similar to Dektol.

My stupidity...They tried to get me to take two large rolls of the "positive sheetfilm" with the enlarger but I said "why would anyone need positive film?" and it was thrown away....

My take on the Pt/Pd is that I'd rather have the massive 8x10 enlarger in the darkroom and go in the field with the 'smaller' 8x10 camera, rather than use 11x14 or 16x20 camera to make the negatives.

I have not done any of the big negatives yet, it is on my list of things to do this winter or next.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

X-Ray Dup Film

To: Peter Schrager, I sent you an e-mail the other day on the dup film.I've been trying to make 11X14 dups with the Fuji blue tint dup film .The problem I'm having is the blacks are very weak . The clear film density is very high. The dental film is not available in large sizes. Do you have any suggetions for me? Much thanks,Chip

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Chip- please tell me exactly what you are doing and then maybe I or someone here can help you
    info such as your exposure times and what developer you use
    it might help!!
    thanx, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This article talks about making enlarged negatives by projection onto Lith film and then reversal processing them. If the following statement is true, this would be very convenient.

"Using this process, Lithographic (lith) film does not exhibit its usual extreme contrast, but rather gives excellent continuous tones and pinholes do not occur."

http://www.alternativephotography.co...y-reversal.pdf

Can anyone comment on this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/8...dupe-film.html

is a related thread. I tried xray dupe film with 3 developer combinations. You get three different contrast results depending on what you're going for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speaking of doing this, I was just in at Freestyle, and they have terrible (even horrifying) news. Apparently, all litho film is being discontinued in manufacture, and they cannot find anyone else who will make it for them. WTF?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin