Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,510   Online: 799

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I'll have to come up with a lith film formula then!

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    I am at an impasse here as to how to go about creating a larger negative for contact printing from a smaller negative such as a 35mm or MF negs.

I am wanting to do larger prints in the range of 30x36 in Pt/Pl and gum bichromate but the negs I have are to small and I don't have access to LF or ULF cameras yet.
    Sandy King makes beautiful carbon prints from 6x7 cm negatives he enlarges digitally to whatever size he wants. He develops his rollfilm in Pyrocat (HD? MC? I'm not sure which) using the two solution minimal agitation method to produce quite flat, but amazingly sharp negatives. He then scans them with a high resolution scanner, adds appropriate contrast with Photoshop and then prints the negative on Pictorico stock. I can't tell the difference between prints made from these negatives and prints made from the same size in camera negatives.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lith film, really, gone??

Which "D" word is worse.... digital or discontinued?!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    ???

The Ultrafine Continuous Tone Duplicating positive exposes under an enlarger and develops in Dektol under a standard safelight. What could be simpler?

i use this film, it is the same thing as kodak " SO-132 " single step duplicating film .

it is simple to use, with a 300W flood light ... it's for contact printing
    ( the same speed as a silver chloride emulsion ( like azo ) )

durst makes ( or used to make ) an enlarger lamp / enlarger that can do this
    ( the one that can be used to enlarge negatives on pt/pd + azo )
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/4...-platinum.html

but i don't imagine it would be cost effective just to enlarge a few negatives ...

good luck !

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Speaking of doing this, I was just in at Freestyle, and they have terrible (even horrifying) news. Apparently, all litho film is being discontinued in manufacture, and they cannot find anyone else who will make it for them. WTF?
    They are now featuring Arista II ortho litho films on the .004 base, and the notes say this is a replacement for the APHS film they used to stock. The new Arista II films seem to be available in a wide variety of sizes, up to 20x24 and now in 24" rolls as well.

I guess they found another supplier? And all is well?

P.S. just noticed that they also have 4x5 'film' sizes (slightly smaller) for those that shoot it in-camera. I don't recall them having that before.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wow that's cool

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    I understand that Eugene Smith hated darkroom work. So much so that he make one perfect print with dodges and burns and cropped then made a copy neg of that print. The neg was large maybe 8x10.
    With these he would just contact print. Cutting his darkroom time short. I'll have to go back in my books and videos to see if this is true. Maybe PE could answer this?
    W. Eugene Smith printed heavily burned and dark prints. I didn't now of that trick. But you need an 8x10 camera to make the neg right?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    W. Eugene Smith printed heavily burned and dark prints. I didn't now of that trick. But you need an 8x10 camera to make the neg right?
    Right. I just bit the bullet and bought one. While I'd rather photograph with it than any other camera, I must say that the cost of film for it is a killer. I've been working a lot more with the 5x7 lately.
    Jim

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin