Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,618   Online: 1030

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Dodging IMHO is probably the most underated part of enlarger printing.
    Burning is ok but I would rather bring the density to a good balance for the upper mid tones, lower highlight region, or for those digitally savy just above the 3/4 tone or 80 on the L reading.. sorry I can't help myself I hope Sean dosen't purge me.

by giving the print a bit more density , and in conjunction with a very detailed dodge strategy, you can just Burn and pop in a bit of tone to nail the upper highlights with two filters, I use 0 filter to set **flash ** in some tone and the use the 5 filter to create local contrast within the highlight region.. the five does not affect the whites but it certainly darkens any dark area within a highlight which has the effect of showing more detail.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use an audible timer. It beeps every second. Great for dodging and burning. That way, i don't have to look at the timer and I can concentrate on the print. Count along with the beeps--"go, one, two, stop."

For contact printing, I use a cheap electronic metronome set to beep every second. I think it cost about $10.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I tried the digital metronome once and just about went insane from the beeping. I liked the method of using a metronome from my piano days, so I got a small quartz one. They sound like tapping wood and I found it much more pleasing.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    I had the same problem and ended up mouting the footswitch on the side of the enlarger cabinet and I hit it with my knee to turn it on.
    I hope that cabinet is totally impervious to vibration...!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    I hope that cabinet is totally impervious to vibration...!
    It is a 6x3 foot L shape constructed of 2x4s, 3/4" shelving, a 1-1/2" top, and bolted to the concrete block basement side wall. The enlarger itself does not sit on the cabinet but is attached to the sidewall in 2 places above the cabinet. I am pretty sure that a tank battalion could pass by my house without causing vibrations!

But your point should be considered by anyone deciding to follow suit.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin