Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,941   Online: 1073

Shooter
    35mm RF

How do I put my name on contact prints..?

Sorry if this has been covered, but I have been searching all kinds of terms on here and google, but just cannot find anything relevant.
    In a book with Neil Zlozower photography, his contact sheets all have what appear to be a stencil placed over the paper which show his name and copyright info. I'd like something similar to use when making my sheets. If I could just get the name of this device, it would help so much. Again, I apologize if these are mentioned elsewhere already

Here is an example-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well you could print or write your name etc. on transparency film and overlay that with the neg when you do your exposure.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The true analog way to do it would be to assemble the text and any artwork on a white board. Use rub-on letters or hand letter it or use letters from a Bolex titling kit etc. Then photograph this on B&W negative film. Then print this image onto orto/lith film. Now you have a clear sheet with black letters on it. Just print this with your negatives.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to go half digital and half analog here Gonna print a white sheet with my name from Pages then take a few shots using the only camera with a meter I have to get a proper exposure. I welcome any suggestions on a more durable option than a piece of film. Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you're worried about durability, you can shoot multiple copies of the neg when you set it up, or you might want to update it periodically anyway.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can do this part digital and part analog. Print out what you want from a computer in white lettering on a black background. Then photograph it with Rollei ATP 1.1 in Kodak D-19. If the film is available in 35mm, it would be perfect for this job, as you would simply need to slip a frame in among the film you are using to make to your contact sheets.

You can also have it appear as a block of white with black lettering if you prefer. Just print out the lettering in black on a light paper, instead of white text on a black ground.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Letraset on transparent plastic.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a stash of old transparencies of the sort that you feed though the copier or laser printer to create an overhead projector presentation. (If you are old enough to remember like pre Powerpoint you know what I mean).

I make up the copy I want in my word processor, etc, and print straight onto these (acetates?).

I then tape them to the underside of my contact printer glass when I want the effect you are looking for.

I also use them to title head shots with the actors name and agent when shooting with a dark background.

If I have a white background surround in the print, then I make a negative of the transparency with lith sheet film, and then use this as a second exposure to print in the black text. I have found that the black from the copier when I print reversed text from the word processor does not have sufficient DMax to not have to resort to changing multigrade filters for the second exposure, which is a PITA when printing a quantity of the same image.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    word document of design needed

sheet of clear acetate

computer printer

print out text/etc... onto clear acetate

cut out from sheet, approx 1-1/2" inches bigger in all dimensions

store in its own envelope

lay under/over sleeved negatives when making a contact sheet.

and no wasting time doing the film-shooting/developing,etc.....

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Brother PTouch label maker. I use the black letters on clear 1/2" tape and print my name and the ID date of the roll. Works very well.

Tim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin