Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,582   Online: 1191

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    This made many things 5/6ths dimmer and you could see the fluctuations as a flicker.
    The whole of the UK is on 50Hz and this is to fast to see as a flicker.

But we do have twice as much voltage as you!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's a straightforward explanation of the various units of light measurement--

http://www.theledlight.com/lumens.html

Some light meters can give measurements in Lux or footcandles, including the "Light Meter" app for the iPhone, if you happen to have one.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not just make a test strip or so to get the right exposure?

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    PE - I think Ray is trying to correlate historical infomation about materials with current ones.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understand Kirk, but an exposure will allow him to do some back calculations or estimates at least. And the 50 hz power in Japan will throw everything off anyhow.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    we do have twice as much voltage as you!

Steve.
    Shocking!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The whole of the UK is on 50Hz and this is to fast to see as a flicker.

But we do have twice as much voltage as you!

Steve.
    Steve;

When I was in Japan, I could see flicker! You are just used to it!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Why not just make a test strip or so to get the right exposure?

PE - I think Ray is trying to correlate historical infomation about materials with current ones. Kirk

I understand Kirk, but an exposure will allow him to do some back calculations or estimates at least. And the 50 hz power in Japan will throw everything off anyhow.

PE
    Kirk is correct.

This material is simply no longer available.

Even if I had a sample, I am guessing the detailed exposure information provided at the time of it's manufacture would be more indicative of the fresh material than it's current speed would be.

As far as the 50/60 thing I don't really understand.. maybe when you were here the power was not quite up to specs or something... In anycase, there is none noticed in my area, but I am not looking for it- besides- I stay in 60Hz areas... I wish I could say the same thing about the flush toilet!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think a 60hz flush toilet or a 50hz flush toilet would be a real pain in the butt!

I lived or visited both areas in Japan though and could see a difference in flicker and in brightness but that was long ago.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With incandescent bulbs, the flicker is so low that I would say it is impossible for human to see it. If you shoot a several frames in incandescent lighting with short shutter times (like 1/1000 s), they come up with almost exactly the same exposure. The filament has some heat capacity so it dims only very little in 10 milliseconds. And, the lower the lamp design voltage, the more heat capacity in filament. 12V halogens take literally a second to "shut down" completely!

However, with fluorescent lights, some people (but very few) actually can see some flicker, or not see but rather "sense" it. It is not usual, but some people report tendency to headaches in strong fluorescent light. Which part of the cause is the high level of "strong" light and which part is due to flicker, it's hard to say. I have attached a series of (digital ) pictures of a fluorescent light I shot at 1/1000s to show the flicker.

The frequency of the flicker is 100 Hz or 120 Hz because the light is generated on both half-cycles. As a comparison, the CRT television flicker is either 50 Hz or 60 Hz depending on the system, and film projection in the movies is 48 Hz or 72 Hz depending on the shutter type.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loisteputki.jpg  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin