Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,603   Online: 885

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I think a 60hz flush toilet or a 50hz flush toilet would be a real pain in the butt!
    My company has made control panels and remote controls (hard to believe) for electric toilets for the Japanese market!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You say that you can't see the flicker? I can tell you how you can see it.

This can get long winded and technical so I am going to try to keep it really simple. This works in the US, not sure about other places.
    When Electricity is generated it is produced on 2 sides of the generator, both these "legs" of the power are delivered to your home by the power company and then when your home is wired the legs are used randomly throughout your home. If you sit in a room for a long time that is lit by only 1 incessant lamp doing something like reading then exit that room and go to another room that is again lit one single incessant lamp on the opposite power leg you will notice a slight flicker. You can also sometimes see this effect if you step outside on a dark night with no streetlights on.

Why? Your brain does a lot of really cool things and this is one of them, the light on one leg actually dims ever so slightly 60 times a second, you don't notice because it is slight, and happens quickly. Your brain notices but doesn't tell you and just adjusts to process visual information when it has the most light, this happens over time so you don't notice it. When you move to another space where the light is dimmest when the light in the space you were in is brightest you notice a slight flickering as your brain is trying to catch up and adjust. If you live all your life in 60Hz and are sudden thrust into 50Hz you will notice this as well because you have not developed the timing in tour brain for 50Hz, it will come eventually. If you live in a place where you see both 60 and 50Hz all the time you develop the timing for both.

Oh and if you made it through all that, why not just make some test strips?
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think a 60hz flush toilet or a 50hz flush toilet would be a real pain in the butt!

PE
    Hertz to think about it!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    My company has made...remote controls...for electric toilets...
    Steve.
    So uh, where is the "user" in relation to the toilet that a remote control is needed?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    So uh, where is the "user" in relation to the toilet that a remote control is needed?
    It sits on the wall and you pick it up when you need to use it.

Similar to this one: http://accidentalepicurean.com/wp-co...._open_lid.jpg

I have often wondered about remote controls for car stereos too.... and why the remote controls for some hi-fi equipment includes a control to open and close the CD tray.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It sits on the wall and you pick it up when you need to use it.
    So if I had one, I could use the toilet without having to get up from the couch? Cool!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    So if I had one, I could use the toilet without having to get up from the couch?
    If you like!

Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Getting back to this 50/60Hz flickering. I find it hard to believe that a piece of tungsten glowing white hot will cool down and heat up enough in 1/100 of a second for it to be noticeable.

Perhaps with LED lighting (except that it is probably converted to DC internally) and florescent lighting but certainly not tungsten.

This works in the US, not sure about other places.
    When Electricity is generated it is produced on 2 sides of the generator
    In the UK and most of Europe (I think) electricity is generated in three phases rather than two. I thought it was the same in the US. Don't you sometimes have a separate higher voltage (208v?) supply for things like electric cookers derived from two of the phases?

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 03-27-2011 at 10:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

This can get long winded and technical so I am going to try to keep it really simple. This works in the US, not sure about other places.
    When Electricity is generated it is produced on 2 sides of the generator, both these "legs" of the power are delivered to your home by the power company and then when your home is wired the legs are used randomly throughout your home. If you sit in a room for a long time that is lit by only 1 incessant lamp doing something like reading then exit that room and go to another room that is again lit one single incessant lamp on the opposite power leg you will notice a slight flicker. You can also sometimes see this effect if you step outside on a dark night with no streetlights on.

Why? Your brain does a lot of really cool things and this is one of them, the light on one leg actually dims ever so slightly 60 times a second, you don't notice because it is slight, and happens quickly. Your brain notices but doesn't tell you and just adjusts to process visual information when it has the most light, this happens over time so you don't notice it. When you move to another space where the light is dimmest when the light in the space you were in is brightest you notice a slight flickering as your brain is trying to catch up and adjust. If you live all your life in 60Hz and are sudden thrust into 50Hz you will notice this as well because you have not developed the timing in tour brain for 50Hz, it will come eventually. If you live in a place where you see both 60 and 50Hz all the time you develop the timing for both.

Oh and if you made it through all that, why not just make some test strips?
    AAMOF, it is not uncommon even here in the US for 1/2 of a room to come from one tap and the other half to come from the other half and thus you can have a phase difference within one room. We have exactly this case in our kitchen and it is potentially quite dangerous as you can have 240 V across two different taps.

In Japan, the flicker on the TV was pretty awful, and the picture on the old tube sets was a bit shrunken. The TV sets tended to overheat as well.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We have exactly this case in our kitchen and it is potentially quite dangerous as you can have 240 V across two different taps.
    As I said before, we have that in just one outlet!

I hope you don't mean tap as in what you call a faucet when talking about voltages in your kitchen!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A tap here can also mean a pair of lines from one winding of a transformer. So, typically, our reduction transformers have 2 taps each one at 120 v and 60 cycles, but being of opposite "polarity" in terms of position on the sine wave so that one is high when the other is low giving a difference of 240 v across the span of the tap. It is like an "E" where the top and bottom legs are powered and the center is ground. The voltage across the top and bottom is 240V and across either end and the center ground is 120.

PE

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin