Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,945   Online: 944

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dust Busting when Contact Printing

I would like to here some of your techniques for dealing w/ the contact printer's arch enemy -- dust.

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep the enlarger baseboard clean. I also use a Swifer duster.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CJUBEPICMAY#

Using canned air is bad for the environment and only blows dust everywhere. Capturing dust is a better way. I keep my duster in a clean drawer. A quick wipe with the Swifer on both sides of the glass and your contact neg will really help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I run a hepa air cleaner in the darkroom part of the time. seems to remove most of the dust from the air before it settles on things.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I run a hepa air cleaner in the darkroom part of the time. seems to remove most of the dust from the air before it settles on things.
    I thinking of getting a hepa air cleaner for my print finishing area (living room in my apt.). Any recommendations on what brand/model I should look at.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got something cheap ($50-60) from amazon. It's a little loud, but works well. A living room one you should probably go a little more upscale for something quieter. More money is probably quieter, prettier, and more energy efficient. I don't have any recommendations on mid-range or better ones. Eliminating pets is the most beneficial preventions. 2nd is using a central vac instead of a portable vacuum cleaner. A hepa vac would be also a better choice than a normal vacuum cleaner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Eliminating pets is the most beneficial preventions.
    :o) I about stomp the household Chiwawa/Daschund when he tries to run in to my darkroom.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep a HEPA air cleaner running constantly in my dark room. Anti-static cloth or brush for quick dust off prior to session helps. My three dogs have free run of my DR and its no problem, my boxer usually sleeps under my feet when I'm in there.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Clean and clean some more, but something that people often over look while cleaning the work area is the area where you will be laying out your negatives to cut and sleeve them, and where they will set them before doing whatever it is they want to do with them to print them. Clean your printing mechanism all you want, it will make little difference if you set your negative in dust while you are getting ready to print it. Also right before laying your negative down to make the print, dust it and the paper.

I have several microfiber towels that I use, then toss in the laundry. I have never had a scratch from the dust remaining trapped in them. I use one for the work area, another for the negatives, one for the paper to be printed onto (I do cyanotypes), and two for the glass, one for the first cleaning of the set, and the other every time I change the negative. This works for me, your actual mileage may vary. Please note, microfiber towels are dust magnets, and must be cleaned often even with that they will, not might will scratch something during a print session.

No you can not clean too often during the contact printing process.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Large Format
    practice at spotting prints, and use correct print viewing distance ;0)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    It is always great to have new ideas, but if you search on "dust," here and in the LF forum, much has already been written.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin