Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,296   Online: 821

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Home made vacuum fame plans and a question

At some point on this site someone posted their homemeade vacuum frame. I am looking for plans.

Vacuum pumps are expensive and noisy. I was wandering if a modified foot pump and close off valve would do the job just as well as an electric pump? I was also wondering if anyone knew what kind pressure is needed to ensure ultimate contact?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Mark
    As I recall anything over 20" on a vacuum guage was OK. I would always wait at least 15 seconds beyond that before exposing in a small frame and up to a couple of minutes with my big frame (high volume pump and 66" x 96" glass size). The material behind your negative and print can also make a difference. I bought an Agfa colour print system which included a vacuum frame which used a thin polyester sheet instead of glass and the pump looked like an aquarium air pump but used in reverse. Not very high vacuum but it worked. With the plastic curtain, a rubber roller helped a lot. Withy any of them vacuum was broken when the pump was turned off so I think a foot pump and shut off would not be satisfactory.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got my vaccum system with an enlarger and a bunch of other stuff that i was given. One is a home-brewed wooden guy that's basically a wooden box with one side being that type of board that has holes in it (for storage and organization stuff, i forget the name), and one of the sides has a hole in it for the vaccuum tube. The other board is best described as a portion of an air hockey table. They both work well, and i have used them quite a bit. The thing with using vaccuum boards is that you have to mask off the vaccuum where the paper isn't so that you don't lose pressure. Also for a vaccuum motor, just keep your eye out at garage sales/etc. I was just looking online, and walmart sells a small shopvac for 25$. This would be a good option because the shop vac will have a good amount of power. The vacuum that i currently use is a beseler "blower" which was an accessory for the dichro heads. The guy who used it for vaccuum board stuff had flipped the polarity on the motor so it is now a beseler "sucker". Unfortunatley, i find it doesn't have enough pressure, particularly for fiber paper. However it does work ok for RC paper. I plan to pick up one of those wal-mart shop vacs soon, to use that. I will report back on how it performs if you'd like.
    -Austin

Images
    Sounds like the vacuum motor would burn out.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Sounds like the vacuum motor would burn out.
    with what? If you're reffering to the cheapo wal-mart shop vac, i wouldn't think so as you really wouldn't be using it for as harsh things as it was designed for. and for the beseler "sucker" that i have, well i believe that the previous owner did this about 20 years ago. It still works great.
    -Austin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    At some point on this site someone posted their homemeade vacuum frame. I am looking for plans.
    Wasn't me but this is what you are referring to:

http://www.grafiskeksperimentarium.d...uum_Frame.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I built one a short while ago. Just used a shop vac, that sits in another room. Works great. I have no plans but its pretty simple, just a piece of plywood covered with formica, with a little hollow space below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0171.jpg  

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have use a vacuum frame that I made myself. My darkroom/dark cupboard is upstairs and so the vacuum part of is provided by a conventional vacuum cleaner that sits in the loft so that the noise doesn't drive me mad and the "exhaust" doesn't stir up dust. My baseboard is 12" X 10" aluminium plate, in which I drilled (very laboriously) holes of about 2,5mm dia. on (I think) a 1cm grid. It works very well, and even when only using postcard size paper there's no need to mask off the unused area to maintain sufficient vacuum.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    some of these "frames" look more akin to an easel(for keeping a piece of enlarging paper flat) rather than a vacuum FRAME(which sucks a negative and paper together).

I got mine(18x22" Nuarc) w/ a pump from Craigslist for $50. I had to re-wire the cord with a new one and a new plug, but it runs like a champ and pulls about 35# at full force, probably more if the gauge wasn't topped out already . So all in all with new parts, about a $65 investment.

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    some of these "frames" look more akin to an easel(for keeping a piece of enlarging paper flat) rather than a vacuum FRAME(which sucks a negative and paper together).
    -Dan
    Dan, you are absolutely correct. My bad for not really paying attention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin