Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,626   Online: 1003

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Also I encourage all printers to pay attention to the image emerging in the developer as dodge and burns become very evident and a lot of time wastage is avoided by visually SEEING the image before you even put on the room lights.
    This is great advice that I hadn't always considered.
    Thanks Bob.

I was always paranoid of marginally unsafe safelight so mostly inserted the print emulsion side down until fixed.

False economy rears its head once again.

Not dodging or burning where it is necessary is an artificial, conceptual, limitation. Sometimes the best prints are straight prints. But if a straight print does not give the best balance of tones, then one should (must, really) dodge and/or burn to get the best print. If, you don't care about making the best print you can, then sure, just make straight prints.

I ell about printing that I have one goal: to make the best print I can. Given the negative I have, that print may be in accord with what I intended when I exposed the negative or it may not. It does not matter. The goal is simply to make the best print I can.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't disagree with that. It really is (and is intended to be) a conceptual limitation in this case. When I want the best print I can get, I do enlargements to have the best and widest control.
    Matthias

Once you get born you're never the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin