Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,698   Online: 790

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

PhotoFormulary Lodima paper developer

Is this the same formula Michael Smith has on his website?

Here is the link.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like it but you'd be much farther ahead to mix it yourself. The mixing is done at room temp and it's very simple. That said I just bought some of PF's premixed Pyrocat HD in Glycol after mixing my own (less the Glycol) for years....... =P

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You are right. However I would like to know if it is the same formulary suggested by MAS. Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Take Doc's advice and mix it yourself. In addition to the doubt about whether or not it's Michael Smith's formula, I would also like to know about the amidol. If it's Chinese in origin, you'll be really turned off to the whole experience. And then there's the outrageous price.

Artcraft Chemicals will sell you 1/2 lb. of English amidol for $105.00, which works out to about $0.50/gram. The other chemicals in Michael's formula can be purchased all over the place dirt cheap. (sodium sulfite, KBr, citric acid). At 8 grams / liter of amidol, your cost per liter of working solution is around $5.00 if you mix it yourself. Compare this to the Formulary's price.
    Jim

We have the same Amidol the Formulary has--Chinese Amidol--for sale at only $85/pound. We just acquired it from someone who purchased a lot of it when it arrived in the USA.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    We have the same Amidol the Formulary has--Chinese Amidol--for sale at only $85/pound. We just acquired it from someone who purchased a lot of it when it arrived in the USA.

Michael A. Smith
    Michael,

What is your opinion of the Chinese Amidol? A previous poster seems to have a low opinion of it, so I thought ask your opinion.

Thanks

Mikke Sullivan
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Michael,

What is your opinion of the Chinese Amidol? A previous poster seems to have a low opinion of it, so I thought ask your opinion.

Thanks

Mikke Sullivan
    I should qualify my statement. A lot of people have a low opinion of the Chinese amidol because it's very nasty stuff to work with.

What I meant to convey to the OP is that if you're new to using amidol, the Chinese stuff might put you so off with its excessive staining, its opacity of working solution in the tray making it impossible to see the print come up, the necessity of filtering out the particulates in the working solution, etc. that you abandon its use after the first try. That would be unfortunate.

As foul a concoction as it is to work with, I use it because the blacks it yields seem denser to me. It's worth it to me to put up with the bad things about it to get more dmax in my Azo prints. So my opinion is both high and low. But I'm obsessive about print quality and brook no compromise for the sake of convenience. And you certainly can't beat the price of the Chinese stuff.

If Michael Smith uses it his opinion of it is very high. He won't use anything that won't yield the best possible print.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree completely. Chinese Amidol might (probably) will put a first time user off the stuff all together... Watching the print come up, and learning when to pull during water bath, are both more difficult. Plus, it's quite messy.

But like Jim says, if you've taken proper care the results are fantastic......

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It also ruins the fixer so that I have to one shot my fixer now, doubling my fixer cost. But I have 50# of hypo laid in, so I shouldn't have to worry to much for a coupla years.

It also has much shorter tray life. I can't use it at all the next day like I can the English amidol.
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 10-14-2011 at 10:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Michael, can you ship the amidol to Colombia? The main problem I have now is trying to get the amidol, as I finally found a source for KBr which was not that easy to find here. If you can I am interested in buying some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin