Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,635   Online: 1145

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format

what to use if not Azo?

I'm not looking to stop using Azo, but I keep reading comments about how "you don't have to use Azo," etc.

If you contact print and aren't doing platinum (or any other "alt" process), what can you use besides Azo?

(again, not dissatisfied in any way, just confused about what people are referring to...)

Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    (I'm talking about situations where there is no enlarger.)

Images
    I use Forte Polywarmtone when I want something warmer (and double weight or museum weight) as well as oriental and ilford.
    hi!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Just because you contact print certainly does not mean you must use Azo! I have contact printed on standard enlarging papers for years. They don't have the ability to print from negatives with huge density ranges like Azo\Pt\Pd but so long as the negative matches the range of the paper, you can get treat prints on standard enlarging paper. You can also checkout P.O.P. (Printing Out Paper) which is contact printed only and is not even developed. The image forms while it is being exposed and comes out of the contact printer with the image on the paper. Check out the site for Chicago Albumen Works:

http://www.albumenworks.com/printing-out-paper.html

-Mike

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    I'm not looking to stop using Azo, but I keep reading comments about how "you don't have to use Azo," etc.

If you contact print and aren't doing platinum (or any other "alt" process), what can you use besides Azo?

(again, not dissatisfied in any way, just confused about what people are referring to...)
    I Am using POP. It is fun, but the learning curve is taking a while and it only has one grade.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    How do you control the exposure? Aren't the times really short?

(I was lumping POP into the general "alt" category...)

Images
    I did a couple work prints with 8x10 TMY dev in Pyrocat on Forte tonight. At F8 with the enlarger bulb (about the same as using a low wattage (25 or 40) bare bulb, my exposure was 80 seconds.
    hi!

Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm using a 40 in a reflector (work lamp from local Ace) for Azo. I suppose the reflector is what makes the 40 watt work with Azo.

Anyway, I'm not unhappy with Azo in the least, I was just confused about how people were contact printing enlarging paper with no enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Max-

I think (unless I'm mistaken, which is often the case) that the people using enlarging papers for contact printing are using enlargers. I have no true darkroom and there's no chance I'll be building one any time soon, so I'm doing contact printing. I currently use Centennial POP (which is just plain fun but not quite the solution I'm looking for) and I've ordered some Azo from Michael Smith this week. I'd love to find a way to contact print reliably on graded papers using only a bare bulb, but I suspect that my lack of a real darkroom would lead to fogging problems.

Just my two cents...and probably not worth even that much...
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Max

To answer your question, any conventional paper could be used. Graded papers would be the choice when an enlarger isn't present. Paper choice may involve such matters as dmin and dmax but more then likely will hinge on paper warmth or coldness.

It is important to remember that when using VC enlarging paper for contact printing that it is mandatory to use the enlarger as the light source for exposure. The reason is that the enlarger filtration will allow one to achieve the contrast grade desired.

That would not be true with graded paper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin