Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,093   Online: 1065

Thread: Silvershotz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Silvershotz

I used to subscribe a few years ago and was usually very happy with the content. However, for reasons that I'm struggling to recall precisely, I didn't renew the subscription. I saw a copy fairly recently - still excellent production values but it seemed more like graphic art than photography. I also understand that a significant amount of the content is drawn from the d***tal fraternity.

Are there any current subscribers out there who are willing to share their thoughts on this publication? I'm considering re-subscribing - but it only if there's still a signficant film content.

As Silvershotz's name is shown as a site sponsor, I am hoping for good, positive news but would be interested to hear views in general on the current quality / content.

Many thanks.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Paul,

I know it's a bit late, but I just came across your post now when I did a search for 'Silvershotz' looking for the same thing as you, opinions from subscribers. I've been a regular subscriber for the past few seasons and find I'm getting less and less satisfaction from it, which is a shame since, as you said, the production quality is fantastic, and they ARE a sponsor here.

I was a bit let down last year (I think it was) when they started a fantastic sounding series on presentation & promotion (and other things). It was advertised as a six part series, (from memory) the first was online promotion, the second was matting and framing techniques (I think... I could dig them out and check...), but the following installments never appeared. I emailed and asked if the omission was an oversight, or they had changed their mind etc as there was no further mention of the series in the magazines. the response I got was along the lines of "...the editor has some great content planned for the future, please subscribe to the next edition..." ...what?! To me, that said "Suck it up, we don't care what you think of our content, just keep sending us money" (I'm sure that wasn't their intent).

Some, most, of the work in the mag is incredible, and shows that a lot of time, effort and passion has gone into creating the works, but honestly, I'm losing interest... the kind of content they're publishing is the sort of imagery I'd expect to see if I was sent an email of pictures from www.worth1000.com

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i received a sample copy,which did not convince me, becase i'm interested inmore technical content.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still a subscriber but I must agree about the Graphic art thing,that's all I see now and it doesn't float my boat. Sure the images are clever and well structured, but right away from my area of interest, which is fairly straight B&W photography. I'm not a total snob about the sourcing of the image, there are some nice digital B&W images out there, but sometimes I just think they are trying to hard to "be out there", if that makes sense.
    The last magazine that I really liked was Camera and Darkroom, however I still get UK's B&W photography magazine....oh, and View Camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Frankly, there has been a huge void for me since "Black and White" began integrating digital illustration then went pretty much all digital. I am not anti digital and I think there is some great art being made using all digital or analog/digital hybrid techniques, but I am just not all that interested in them. Whenever I go to a bookstore and peruse any of the photography magazines, I find myself interested by some photographs, but when the captions start going on about digital techniques, I simply lose interest. I long for one publication where I can look at great, film-captured, wet-darkroom-printed photographs. It has been literally months since I have spent any money on photography magazines, whereas a few years ago I bought several each month.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thank god for photo techniques.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin