Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,278   Online: 885

Shooter
    Medium Format

File under "Why bother?"

Here in New Jersey, for as long as I can remember, there has been a monthly camera show called the Second Sunday Camera Show. I've gotten a number of useful items there over the years.

Last year, I received notice that there would be no shows in September and October. I couldn't imagine the reason why; perhaps the show organizer was going to be laid up following surgery, or some other reason.

Recently, when I looked up the show dates for 2012, there were only three (three!) shows, in March, September, and November.

When I saw that, I asked myself, "Why bother?"

Dieter Zakas
    Huh, NJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    does the organizer have to pay for the space? If so, maybe the organizer(s) cant afford to shell out the cash every month like they used to?
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Existing Light View Post
    does the organizer have to pay for the space? If so, maybe the organizer(s) cant afford to shell out the cash every month like they used to?
    I suspect it's a confluence of factors. The organizer isn't getting any younger, and the likes of eBay have had an adverse impact; the dealers used to extend into a back room, and now they're confined to the larger space in the front, and an anteroom.

I've also noticed a number of dealers who used to be there in years past no longer make an appearance there. For some, it wasn't a huge loss, given how they treated prospective buyers.

Dieter Zakas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Consider yourself lucky to have any camera shows at all. A camera show is impossible and unheard of here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's a yearly camera show around here. One day for a few hours, once a year, paid admission with a higher rate if you want to get in early. The one time I went it was well worth the cost just to see so many specimens of cameras.
    "Fun? Ah yes, the employment of time in a profitless and non-practical way."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Get some apuggers together, serve some nice hors d'oeuvres and drinks, pass cameras and prints around, and be happy.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Keith, this show is more swap meet than show 'n tell.

Dieter Zakas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can swap with apuggers too
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KarnyDoc View Post
    I suspect it's a confluence of factors. The organizer isn't getting any younger, and the likes of eBay have had an adverse impact; the dealers used to extend into a back room, and now they're confined to the larger space in the front, and an anteroom.
    yeah, neither of those factors are helping :\

Quote Originally Posted by KarnyDoc View Post
    I've also noticed a number of dealers who used to be there in years past no longer make an appearance there. For some, it wasn't a huge loss, given how they treated prospective buyers.

Dieter Zakas
    We have a yearly camera show here. The last time I went, two years ago, there was a dealer that treated me like crap, mostly for not agreeing that digital was far superior than anything film could produce, and for not buying one of his digital cameras after he told me my Pentax K-1000 was crap
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We have a camera show this weekend in DFW. The guy that puts them on does so twice a year. In the 1990s, there were six a year, and each one was 6 - 10 times the size of the two that occur now. Yes, first ebay, then digital has maimed, if not yet killed this phenomenon. One just has to get over it.

On the other hand, at the last one, there was a commercial pro who had shut down his darkroom and brought all the smaller gear (no enlargers) to the show to sell CHEAP. A few of us cleaned up!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin