Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,064   Online: 814

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes , Yes , Ralph is even here to ask questions, cannot get any better than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by stillsilver View Post
    Way Beyond Monochrome v2

Mike

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Errol Morris, Believing is Seeing.

Another vote for Geoff Dyer, The Ongoing Moment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recommend a book called An Area Of Darkness by V.S. Naipaul http://www.amazon.com/Area-Darkness-...pr_product_top a fascinating read about an Indian who was grew up in the West Indies first trip to India.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a student of art, but how you guys rate this book 'Mastering Composition: Techniques and Principles to Dramatically Improve Your Painting'. I thinking to read a bit about composition esp., Geometries...any suggestions.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A perfect companion for the Zen book would be the Minor White book that I mentioned
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Certainly not Helmut Newton's "Sumo" http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/cata...wtons_sumo.htm
    But I do think that Michael Freeman's "The Photographer's Eye" or his "The Photographer's Mind" would be a good read on the plane.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have read 'The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better D***** Photos'. It is very good book indeed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After lots of struggle in making the choice, I have ordered Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and D***** Photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm. My copy is from the 70s so it doesn't have the subtitle with the d***** part

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    I'm not a student of art, but how you guys rate this book 'Mastering Composition: Techniques and Principles to Dramatically Improve Your Painting'. I thinking to read a bit about composition esp., Geometries...any suggestions.
    for that, i suggest:
    David Bayles and Ted Orland, Art & Fear, Capra Press, 1993 This book is a light but serious exploration of the way art gets made, the reasons it often doesn’t get made, and the nature of the difficulties that cause so many artists to give up along the way. This book is about finding your own work and putting choice over chance. Susan Sontag, On Photography, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1977 The book is a critical analysis of the profound changes photography has made to the way we look at the world since its invention. It raises important questions about photography and the people who practice it and establishes a much-needed consciousness about image making. Nicolas Wade and Michael Swanston, Visual Perception, Routledge, 1991 The authors start from the basis of what function vision serves with object recognition being at the core of the book, while trying to answer the following questions: Does the world appear the same to everyone? Does what we know determine what we see? Richard L. Gregory, Eye and Brain, Princeton University Press, 1997 Since its 1st edition in 1966, this book has established itself worldwide as an essential introduction to the basic phenomena of visual perception. It offers a clear description of how we see brightness and objects, and explores the area of visual illusion to explain how perception works and why it sometimes fails. William Mortensen, The Command to Look, Jacques de Langre, 1967 This is an extremely valuable, but unfortunately also a very expensive, out-of-print book. In it, the author shares his unique and effective way of composing successful and powerful images. If you looked for solid advice on composition, you will find it in this book. Eastman Kodak Company, Professional Photographic Illustrations, Kodak Publication O-16, 1989 This book is a beautiful introduction into successful lighting techniques for product and tabletop photography. William Mortensen, The Model, Camera Craft Publishing, 1948 There are a number of books available illustrating how to pose a model, but you will struggle to find one approaching the subject in such an organized manner. Also covered is appropriate clothing, make-up and how to provide proper direction to the model. This book is highly recommended for all model and portrait photographers. Roger Hicks and Chris Nisperos, Hollywood Portraits, Amphoto, 2000 Effective portrait lighting is learned by studying successful examples. In this book, the authors explore how the ‘Hollywood Look’ was created
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin