Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,731   Online: 866
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    jim kirk jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    743
    Images
    2

    Light Sensitive by Kathy Harcom

    Well about two/three days ago(my conception of time is erratic as of late)
    Kathy Harcom's,"Light Sensitive" arrived at my doorstep.Well it was worth the
    wait-wait,who am I kidding-Kathy had it here in a matter of days from the time my payment reached her.Trust me it was a faster arrival than
    anything I've recieved from companies here in the US.But enough about the
    logistics of the whole affair.For those that are interested(and I've already told Kathy this)the images in the book are outstanding-some are downright
    beautiful.Yes it's a book on Infrared and I know that there are some that usually don't care for the medium,except in rare instances.Unlike most IR books that simply show the authors mastery of tehnique,the images herein
    are far more creative and show a passion for the medium itself.So if you get the chance you may want to check out her gallery-you may find yourself
    wanting to see more.Well worth the purchase if you'd like to see some great work.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

    "An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

  2. #2
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,767
    Images
    56
    Jim, this sounds interesting (I've been thinking about trying out some infrared). Can you provide us with a link?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

    blog
    website

  3. #3
    jim kirk jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    743
    Images
    2
    Actually Kathy is a new arrival to APUG(I guess I should have mentioned that)-she does have a small gallery here on this site and can be PM'd for any info.That's how I got my book.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

    "An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530
    Are there any examples of the book anywhere in the web? I am one of those who abhor IR, but lets keep an open mind, so I would like to see what it is all about.

  5. #5
    jim kirk jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    743
    Images
    2
    Jorge,
    There could be examples on the web,Im not sure-you may have to ask her.Lots of great images-it's a good start for someone looking to get into IR-IT's a great companion piece also to Hugh Milsom's book(more technical stuff).Hopefully Kathy will
    be able to produce another book with more tech info for those looking for it.There are
    some helpful guidelines to start with as well as sections on Coloring and lith printing your Images also.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

    "An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    133
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by jim kirk jr.
    Well about two/three days ago(my conception of time is erratic as of late)
    Kathy Harcom's,"Light Sensitive" arrived at my doorstep.Well it was worth the
    wait-wait,who am I kidding-Kathy had it here in a matter of days from the time my payment reached her.Trust me it was a faster arrival than
    anything I've recieved from companies here in the US.But enough about the
    logistics of the whole affair.For those that are interested(and I've already told Kathy this)the images in the book are outstanding-some are downright
    beautiful.Yes it's a book on Infrared and I know that there are some that usually don't care for the medium,except in rare instances.Unlike most IR books that simply show the authors mastery of tehnique,the images herein
    are far more creative and show a passion for the medium itself.So if you get the chance you may want to check out her gallery-you may find yourself
    wanting to see more.Well worth the purchase if you'd like to see some great work.
    Oh Jim, your review message is really lovely and very much appreciated! It is wonderful to get this kind of feedback, especially from someone who is so accomplished in, and passionate about infrared work. Being asked by Roger Maile of Arem Publishing to work on a book was one of the most special moments in my photographic life, seeing it actually published was another and getting feedback like this....well it's just the best feeling. Thank you again!

    ~Kathy~

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    133
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by jim kirk jr.
    Jorge,
    There could be examples on the web,Im not sure-you may have to ask her.Lots of great images-it's a good start for someone looking to get into IR-IT's a great companion piece also to Hugh Milsom's book(more technical stuff).Hopefully Kathy will
    be able to produce another book with more tech info for those looking for it.There are
    some helpful guidelines to start with as well as sections on Coloring and lith printing your Images also.

    Hi Jeremy, Jorge and Jim

    I'm afraid at the moment there are not examples on the web. I am just finding out about putting up a website at the moment and then I will be including the book. Arem Publishing do have a website http://www.arempublishing.co.uk/ but unfortunately as yet they do not have the book there as they are overwhelmed with work. They also publish Mono Magazine (to which I contribute) and Digital Photo Art. But signed copies of the book are ready available from me and is £12 plus shipping (USA £5 UK £2).

    The book is almost all infrared work, which I adore using for its dreamlike and ethereal feel. It is soft back and 64 pages, 16 of which are in colour (to show the lith printed & hand-coloured images) and the remaining pages are in black and white. Three introductory essays are included on 'Infrared', 'Hand-colouring' and 'Lith printing'. If you would like any more information please let me know.

    I shall try and pop a copy of the cover in the gallery later today..so long as that is not against APUG'S rules.

    Thanks again

    ~Kathy~

  8. #8
    jim kirk jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    743
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Harcom
    Oh Jim, your review message is really lovely and very much appreciated! It is wonderful to get this kind of feedback, especially from someone who is so accomplished in, and passionate about infrared work. Being asked by Roger Maile of Arem Publishing to work on a book was one of the most special moments in my photographic life, seeing it actually published was another and getting feedback like this....well it's just the best feeling. Thank you again!

    ~Kathy~
    Thanks for the compliment Kathy!Very appreciated!
    Your portfolio of images in your book is outstanding and I'm sure they'll inpire
    anyone into IR,wants to try it or just plain likes to see great work.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

    "An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

  9. #9
    Aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    So. Utah
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,925
    Images
    6
    Going through the stack of mail awaiting my return home, I found my new copy of Kathy's book. WOW!

    She surpasses my expectations of what infrared film can do. Normally you see blown highlight areas, and bright areas of what normally would have detail. I found that examining her work, there was none of the blown out details so prevelent in most IR photography. She has the ability to control this finicky medium in a way that produces exceedingly luminous renditions. Not only do we get to see her varied portfolios, she takes us through the basics of learning about the medium she so lovingly showcases. There are dicussions about infrareed, handcoloring infrared, and how to start out in lith printing infrared. It is a very good starting point from which to explore another side of your creativity. Kathy Harcom is a very talented lady. One I hope to follow closely as her career and photographic vision broadens.

    BTW Kathy has generously offered to add one of her prints to the auction. I'm excited about including her into this project.
    Non Digital Diva

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Norwich, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,405
    Images
    90
    I had the pleasure of meeting Kathy and seeing her work up close a few weeks ago (Crown Monochrome meeting). She even provided working examples of how she got the finished effects the she wanted. Awesome work and well worth investing in, a master of Infra red.

    Well done Kathy

    Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin