Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,978   Online: 884

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    My reason for buying the Abel book was that it showed examples from specific lenses and the lighting that the photographer used. The Hollywood book seems to be aimed at recreating specific portrait styles, probably with modern equipment (i'm guessing that it won't have a section on retouching 8x10 negatives to soften focus). That might be more useful than the Abel book if that is what you want to do.
    I'm also going to assume that its digital based with a section on how to touch up in photoshop...... grrrr

I am more after getting experience in the lighting setups then the post processing side, but then again that wouldn't be a bad thing to know either!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    I'm also going to assume that its digital based with a section on how to touch up in photoshop...... grrrr

I am more after getting experience in the lighting setups then the post processing side, but then again that wouldn't be a bad thing to know either!
    This book was published in 2000, and its authors are two solid film fans. I think it is a good book and helped me think about and deconstruct lighting ever since.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    This book was published in 2000, and its authors are two solid film fans. I think it is a good book and helped me think about and deconstruct lighting ever since.
    Cheers for that! Its not that expensive, so it might be a good start.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Christopher Nisperos is a subscriber here on APUG, and has contibuted lots of helpful and interesting posts.

Roger Hicks used to do the same.

Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I got the last deal on the bay for this book. The Charles Abel book that is. Now if I could only get it back from my friend and fellow carbon printer Tri I'd be happy! Great book not only for the images but all of the info that is included.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hoffy. I picked up a book - "Leading Ladies" (I think) that has portraits from the silent era right up until the late 80s (was a while ago that I picked it up!)

Whilst it doesn't show the actual lighting setups, it's a great book to see how the photographers of the day lit their subjects - and all for a measly $5.00 from KMart.

They had a second to that - "Leading Men" - never had the chance to get it, but was identical in format from memory, except for the subjects.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Order the Abel book through inter-library loan. It has maybe a hundred portrait setups contributed from portrait photographers throughout the country living outside NYC and LA. The lighting is not as contrasty and dramatic as Hollywood Portraits, and soft lens are sometimes used as well. Flourescents are often used as fill light to protect the paying customers. It's geared for 8x10 and sometimes 4x5. The lighting diagrams refer to the actual product names, so lots of references to Mazdas and No. 2 photofloods.

I've been ordering these books for the past several years. The best book on the overall topic of portraiture is Fred Archer on Portraiture, Fred Archer, Camera Craft, 1954. It is the one book you need.

Kodak's Professional Portrait Techniques (O-4) has a short but useful chapter on lighting.

William Mortensen wrote Pictorial Lighting, Camera Craft, 1947. Mortensen's lighting is usually very basic and somewhat flat and does not have the look of the books above. Mortensen would advise you to make due with 2 12-inch photofloods-- lighting was not his primary interest. Mortensen is always a fun read. Much of his points about local contrast are valid, much of his other points may or may not apply when using modern films, and some of his controversies are rebutted or mildly redirected in the Archer book if you read it closely. Mortensen's primary book was Mortensen on the Negative, Simon and Shuster, 1940.

If you go trolling for further amateur-intended portrait books, there are others of lesser value that can fill up a shelf, that have some figures, including Modern Portraiture, Stanley R Jordan Camera Craft 1938, Portrait Lighting by Daylight and Artificial Light, American Photographic Publishing, 1935.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Yes, I know! There was one on here mid way through last year that went for below $100.....I am trying to seek out alternatives - I did come across this one last night:

http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Port.../dp/0817440208

Looks to be a modern book trying to explain the techniques. I wonder if anyone has had any experience with this one and if it is worth while?

Cheers
    It's less a cookbook than an annotated dissection of lighting set-ups and period "looks." It's affordable and unique for suggesting how to use modern gear for retro style portraits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin