Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,108   Online: 935

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Buying Photography Books

I've been looking for some books and a friend recommended overstock.com.

They are 8-15% cheaper than amazon.

Once you get through most of the crap, there are quite a few great titles.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use sjlibrary.org -- once you manage to late fees, it's usually 98-100% cheaper than amazon. Lots of good out-of-print titles to select, too.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another place is: EdwardRHamilton.com
    Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photoeye books is great if you're looking for something no one else has. Although their prices are close to retail, their prices on the Web are usually discounted a little and they do have sale books at a bargain. Over the past year or so, they've managed to locate a couple of out-of-print books I could not obtain elsewhere at a reasonable price. Used copies of one of the books was selling for over $200 but Photoeye obtained a new, plastic wrapped first edition for the original retail price of $45.

Otherwise, I buy a lot of books from Amazon's "new and used" merchants. There can be some great bargains through these sellers and I've never been disappointed in the service or condition of anything I've bought from them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I go into photo-eye almost daily since I live about a mile from them. Nice people.

Also, try checking www.abebooks.com . They have about 15,000 book dealers listed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I usually just buy from Amazon; I like the convience. I just bought myself a copy of Jack Dykinga's "Arizona" (recently published) and am looking forward to seeing it delivered today (I used to live in AZ, and sometimes miss it).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Alibris.com. It is a book finding site that works through hundreds of independent new and used book stores to find titles. Rates the stores, lists available books by prices and condition. There are a couple of other sites like it but don't recall the names. I have been extemely pleased with purchases made and the condition of the books.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Book Finder has a good search tool; and compares prices to many of the above-mentioned sites.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Book Finder has a good search tool; and compares prices to many of the above-mentioned sites.

Thanks for the link Doughowk, I also use BestBookBuys . This is a similar site to find out of print and new titles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also try half.com -- I have purchased a lot of photo books there at amazingly low prices.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin