Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,332   Online: 704

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone know a good history of photographic technology?

Does anyone know a good book on the history of photographic technology? I have seen lots just on cameras and lots more on the history of photographic imaging/thought, but none on the technology as a whole. The image histories have brief accounts of the very dawn of photography, but then go on with things like "with the increase in film speeds towards the end of the 19th century X became possible", OK so how did they get faster? The camera books just tell me how to tell a model X from a model Xa, which would be great if I was into camera collecting, which I'm not. Any ideas?

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one called "A New History of Photography". It's 770 pages long and seems quite comprehensive at a glance... I've never gotten around to actually reading it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many thanks. Who is it by?

David.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The New History of Photography by Michel Frizot; French edition 1994 & English 1998. I've read the book and it does have a decidely French/European perspective (eg, one page + some references for Ansel Adams), which may be a refreshing viewpoint.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what he said...

ISBN 3-8290-1328-0

If you want a read of the Table of Contents, PM me an email addy to send to (scans were too big in pixels to upload here)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hopefully en route to you, assuming I have worked out how to use the PM system

David.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin