Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,822   Online: 873

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Bruce Barnbaum - Tone Poems

John McCallum was kind enough to lend me this book for a few days. I think it is an amazing collection or images. To see photographers taking the medium to the outermost limits like this is truly inspiring. Where would we be if we didn't have photographer's like this that can show us what is possible with our materials? I love seeing work of this calibre and dreaming that one day I can 'get there'. Highly recommend this book..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have not seen this book by BB, but have been lucky enough to see some of his prints and I agrre Sean..I to have dreamed of making prints like his, or Jorge's, Lee's, Mateo's, Donald Miller's, you get the idea...it is always such a Great Joy to see a well made print. For me, it is what drives the need to make beautiful prints.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a copy of the Tone Poems and it is truely inspiring. Having taken a workshop with Bruce I can say it shot me forward in my vision and skill set.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    The DVD from Lenswork is also very inspiring - great collection of images from Slit Canyons & good interview by Brooks Jensen. Looking forward to getting Art of Photography as christmas present. One frequently hears complaints about lack of great contemporary photographers; but the presence of Bruce Barnbaum proves otherwise.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mr Barnbaum's Tones Poems is truely an exceptional collection of work.
    I didn't mention Sean; it comes complete with a CD of music performed by pianist Judith Cohen, with clarinet, violin and cello a[color=black]ccompaniments[/color]. The book is divided into "Opus'" entitled Enigmas, Abstractions and Surprises; with the music selected to best accompany each complete Opus.
    There are many critique reviews available that are better than I can do it justice. But I would say that if you like landscape B&W photography with flawless technique and a vision clearly accumulated from decades of passionate photography - don't hesitate, just get it. If you don't like B&W landscape photography, this could change you.
    I've found fresh inspiration from Tones Poems for my own photography, each time I open it. I think it is one of those rare bodies of work that I would never tire of.
    best,
    John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My copy arrived today and the pictures are gorgeous. Very inspirational. In fact, I like it so much I brought it to work tonight and am looking at it during lunch. Haven't listened to the CD yet, though.

Cheers, James

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree, it's a great book. When I attended one of his workshops, he had his 'Darkness and Dispair' photographs on the wall. Seeing them in the book was one thing, but seeing them all arranged on the wall was completely different. It was like driving past a car accident - you just *had* to look. Very disturbing images. And very effective.
    Cheers!

-klm.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin