Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,562   Posts: 1,545,293   Online: 778

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Recommended DVD: Rivers And Tides

I watched this the other night. I recommend it as an excellent visual experience. Although it's about sculpture, it deals with seeing really. It show what the possibilities are in creating visual experiences. I think it would be good for photographers to help get in tune with the visual possibilites around us.

Another highly visual DVD that I recommend is Baraka.

-Mike

here is what NetFlix says about Rivers and Tides:

This amazing documentary from Thomas Riedelsheimer won the Golden Gate Award Grand Prize for Best Documentary at the 2003 San Francisco International Film Festival. The film follows renowned sculptor Andy Goldsworthy as he creates with ice, driftwood, bracken, leaves, stone, dirt and snow in open fields, beaches, rivers, creeks and forests. With each new creation, he carefully studies the energetic flow and transitory nature of his work.

here is what they say about Baraka:

The relationship between humans and their environment is the subject of this mesmerizing visual study from Ron Fricke, the cinematographer and editor of Koyaanisqatsi. The images -- which Fricke gathered from 24 countries -- range from the daily devotions of Tibetan monks and whirling dervishes to a cigarette factory and time-lapse views of the Hong Kong skyline. Diverse world music accompanies the visuals.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I attended a showing of Andy Goldsworthy's here in Wichita recently. I was struck by the transitory nature of his natural creations. While I have not been aware of the other artist, I can highly recommend Goldsworthy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike I completely agree about Baraka. I have had it in my collection for a few years now both on VHS and DVD. I watch it at least once a month. I find it is not only visually stunning, it is also a fantastic way to unwind.

I will have to look out Rivers and Tides, sounds good.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am not familar with the DVD, but it sounds like something I would enjoy. Would anyone have a link where I can get more information?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I am not familar with the DVD, but it sounds like something I would enjoy. Would anyone have a link where I can get more information?
    http://www.filmforum.com/rivers.html
    http://www.documentaryfilms.net/Reviews/RiversAndTides/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not to do with this certain film...
    A movie that I finally saw that is photographed beautifully is Wim Wender's Wings Of Desire. It has some of the best looking shots I have ever seen in film, it made me appreciate the beauty of sometimes overlooked things in our everyday life. Both the b&w and the color is great. And I know that Wim Wenders is a great photog as well... I think his site is www.wim-wenders.com . his film Paris, Texas is very good also. Sorry to get off topic. -Grant

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin