Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,521,998   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My random thought. B&W works well for most things, but not gas stations.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I am a big fan of Ruscha's artwork, and it seems his photography is not very well known as it is overshadowed by his paintings. But that book and other works like "Every Building on the Sunset Strip" were influential to people like Shore and to non-movements like the New Topographics. I love Shore's work too, as well as George Tice's Urban Landscapes.

For me, there doesn't have to be any kind of "purpose" or underlying message. These photographs can simply be about a place in time. I never get tired of looking at them.
    Oh yeah, Michael, I agree with you about Tice; his Patterson, New Jersey book is one of the most-viewed books in my library.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    My random thought. B&W works well for most things, but not gas stations.
    You might want to look at what Walker Evans did with b&w on that subject; you might reconsider.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    À propos of Evans, here is the gas station picture of his I had in mind:

Even the casual eye would be remiss not to see some similar formal construction between Ruscha and Evans. That's the thing with "banality" : you can never REALLY be banal, there will always be something, whether it's composition or historical record, or something else, that will grab you.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michel Hardy-Vallée View Post
    À propos of Evans, here is the gas station picture of his I had in mind:

Even the casual eye would be remiss not to see some similar formal construction between Ruscha and Evans. That's the thing with "banality" : you can never REALLY be banal, there will always be something, whether it's composition or historical record, or something else, that will grab you.
    I think he may have had even better gas station photos, but that one was about 10 miles from me so a natural favorite of mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ruscha must have been informed by this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WalkerEvans_Gas.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	52485

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no objection to the banal as 'art'. What I'm upset with is the corollary notion that the beautiful isn't art. And then there's the issue of what works in a book vs what works on the wall. I'm just gonna take a nap! ;-)
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who ever said the beautiful isn't art? I hope that wasn't interpreted as being implied in my posts to this thread.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think it was said, but jovo assumed it as a corollary.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Low tech talking about high tech

I love the low-tech aspect of it. And the fact that with "low" technology he's referring to "high" technology, the petroleum-based economy, car culture, etc.

Just saw an original copy in the MOMA a few weeks ago. Believe me, picture quality is low...which goes to show, DPI don't mean nothing.

Go Ed!
    Bill Lowenburg, author
    The Zorki Chronicles - a young photographer searches for his identity through the rangefinder of his vintage Zorki camera. Available September 2012.
    http://zorkichronicles.com
    Crash Burn Love: Demolition Derby (Back Street Books 2005)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin