Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,666   Online: 802

Thread: LIFE Magazine

Shooter
    35mm

LIFE Magazine

I was browsing through a huge collection of LIFE magazines the other day, and it got me thinking. What magazine, still in publication, do you believe to be the closest comparison to LIFE - both in regards to photographs and stories? I can't come up with any at the moment. I assume that very few, if any, magazines are still printing film images, especially B&W, but maybe I'm wrong. I did buy up some issues to lay on my living room table just to thumb through occasionally. Being fairly young, it's like entering an entirely different world.

Let the discussion begin.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's reality T.V. all the way these days I'm afraid.Luckily you can still go out and shoot your own life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was lucky to have the entire library of Life magazines at my fingertips in 9th grade. I spent many lunch hours with a year or two's worth at a time, sometimes I would just stay there in the stacks looking through them.

I'd say the next best thing is/was Popular Mechanics

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I was lucky to have the entire library of Life magazines at my fingertips in 9th grade. I spent many lunch hours with a year or two's worth at a time, sometimes I would just stay there in the stacks looking through them.

I'd say the next best thing is/was Popular Mechanics
    Oh yeah! We subscribed to LIFE, and Nat Geo, when I was a kid. Read them both, every issue, cover to cover. Popular Mechanics, I'd get handed down from my cousin. I always wanted one of those ram jet engines advertised in the back pages. Fortunately my parents were smarter than that. However, they were not quite smart enough to deny the request for the Big Bang Canon. How loud can it really be, said Dad.

Loud enough that an eight year old boy couldn't find where he left it, after firing it off for a couple of hours one day shortly after it arrived. Never did find the darn thing....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only magazine that gave LIFE a real run for it's money was LOOK magazine. Started in 1937, LOOK magazine lasted until 1972. It was a large size magazine at 11x14. It was mostly known for it's photography, but was always considered by some as an "also ran" to LIFE.

The magazines biggest chaim to fame is that Stanley Kubrick was a staff photographer there from 1946 to 1951. Just before his film career took off.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin