Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,995   Online: 887

Shooter
    35mm

The Radical Camera Exhibit - Columbus Ohio - till 9 Sept

The Radical Camera – New York Photo League

There is a very nice photo exhibit at the Columbus Ohio Art Museum till Sept 9. Lewis Hine, Paul Strand, Eugene Smith, Sid Grossman and many, many others.

The Photo League, guided by a belief in the transformative power of photography, took to the street of New York and other locations in the 1930s and 1940s to record the effects of poverty, war, racial inequality and social injustice.

The New Yorker hailed this show as one of the top ten shows this year,

If you’re in the Midwest, I recommend seeing this show!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I saw this show in NYC at the Jewish Museum... I highly recommend seeing it, you won't be dissapointed!
    -Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doh!... missed this by a few months. Looks very cool from the link to jewish museum if you google it.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lots of background material in the NYT, e.g.,

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...n-photography/

Photography as subversion and disloyalty? That's what the New York Photo League suffered.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I also saw this in NYC and enjoyed it very much. If you can't make it - or even if you can - the catalog is worthwhile in its own right.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin