Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,496   Posts: 1,571,433   Online: 1103

Shooter
    Multi Format

Books to read about Art + Geometry

I am quite interesting to study the geometry(regular/irregular) and proportions on a scene, whether I will photograph it or now. What books do you recommend for this subject?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd recommend spending some time with books that have Henri Cartier-Bresson pictures, if you are one who learns by seeing and if you are interested in photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a particularly rare book called The Painter's Secret Geometry that answers to this call perfectly.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Ernst A. Weber - Sehen, Gestalten und Fotografieren (in german)
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was going to suggest specific photographers (Eggleston, Saul Leiter, Jeff Wall, etc) who have a good eye for composition, but then I realized that nearly ALL photographers worth their salt are good at composition. The exception to the rule would be some conceptual artists who photograph more out of an idea than visual shapes.

Spend some quality time with the photobook section of your favourite library: pick a stash of books of various genres, eras, tastes, and look at the images. Try to reverse engineer them, and figure out how they are structured.

You can also have a look at Henry Rankin Poore's "Composition in Art" (cheap, Dover) for a couple of tips/recipes to get you started.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You may wish to look at:-
    * HCB (as already said) I can’t think of any better examples of classic composition.
    * Symmetrical and asymmetrical composition.
    * Compositional shapes (s shapes, stars, circles, crosses, triangles, etc.).
    * Content and context within the image.
    * Emotive issues within the context.
    * Golden section/rule of thirds.
    * Fibonacci numbers.
    * Gestalt theory.
    * Always look at your pictures upside down and also consider what they may look like flipped in a horizontal plane (you don’t have to print shiny side up).

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin