Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,512   Online: 1042

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Brett Weston Portfolio books

I've enjoyed the portfolio series up until now. It's been a long while since any new books have arrived. Is this it? Can we expect the series to be completed?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How long has it been? I recently contacted Lodima Press about getting a subscription to the soft bound series. Nothing was mentioned about no more coming out, just that "Only ten of the portfolios have been printed to date." I held off making a purchase for now, opting to purchase a couple used books of his stuff.

You mentioned enjoying the portfolios, but are they worth purchasing, in comparison to what you can get in his books?
    Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have most of Brett Weston books including the portfolio series by Lodima; and the latter are by far the best renditions of his prints. Brett did say, though, that he avoided the more difficult to print images for this series.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael sent out an e-mail notice to subscribers regarding the printing issues which are causing the delay.

These books are the finest printing of Brett's images I have seen. I would like to have them all tomorrow but will wait as long as it takes...

The entire series of the Brett Weston books will be published. The delay, and it is a loooong delay, unfortunately, is because the printer is installing a new technology, which he tells us, will make the printing even better. It is taking him quite some time to have this technology installed. This is beyond our control. We are hoping he has it ready by the first of the year.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Please can someone point me in the direction of a British seller stocking any of these books? I've been interested in getting hold of a Brett Weston book for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Batwister, I think the portfolios can only be found new here:

http://www.lodimapress.com/html/BWestonPortfolios.html
    http://store.michaelandpaula.com/ind...ve6qkmbhghvq43

I've seen some of these on EBay but not many.

Hope that helps.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    As said before, the Portfolio series from Lodima will give you the best rendering of Brett's prints.
    If you are new to Brett or just want a very comprehensive survey of his work, then the book/catalog "Brett Weston: Out of the Shadow" is excellent.
    There have also been a couple of recent books on his life: "Brett Weston: a Restless Eye" by John Charles Woods, and "My Time with Brett" by Randy Efros. I especially liked the latter.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The books cost a lot more now than they did when the series started. However, the quality is so fine that I believe a complete set will be worth an astonishing amount once the series is complete. They really are beautiful books.
    Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin