Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,040   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

My first (real) photography website!!!

Hello everybody!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, so mods please can it/move it whichever is appropriate.

www.EASmithV.com

I'd love questions, comments, etc... it's my first website, so aesthetic pointers are welcome...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Black is beautiful. The film noir look on art websites is much in vogue and it is the least troubling for people who are visually challenged in terms of contrast (not me, but I have family members who find many websites a trial to view).

The site's inimitable brevity and directness, together with a simple navigation interface of clear and unambiguous red highlights makes it stylish and very functional, though in terms of biographical content it is very brief indeed. An attractive range of content is showcased demonstrating cohesive visual fluency of, and spontaneity with, varied analogue formats (35mm, medium format and ultra-large format). There are some quite sublime images there including the mono rapids: beautifully exposed, composed with consideration and with expansive depth and breadth. Viewers will certainly get the impression quickly that you have mastered quite a few tricks, not just formats!

There is a downside though in that the site is Javascript-intensive: many web writers have their own rules for what and when new sites should be 'quarantined': it was 80% blocked on initial load (now 100% approved, of course, of course!! ); many browsers by default block javascript until such time as the user identifies the site/content as safe (e.g. Firefox, Opera...others). Without Javascript permissions there is nothing to see on the front page but a "middle grey" rectangle. The page transitions are fluid and unobtrusive (if not user-adjustable for rate of transition to allow more time to contemplate the images) and do suit the work being shown. It's an aesthetically bold and appealing site which hits the right place on landing.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm impressed by your photography and your site, I am equally impressed with Poisson du Jour's write up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you Poisson Du Jour, it's not often I actually get an in-depth critique as comprehensive as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    (if not user-adjustable for rate of transition to allow more time to contemplate the images)
    I can adjust that, how long would you recommend I set the delay? it's at 2.75 seconds I believe. Would 4.5 or 6 seconds be better? And there is also a pause button if you mouse over.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Thank you Poisson Du Jour, it's not often I actually get an in-depth critique as comprehensive as that.

I can adjust that, how long would you recommend I set the delay? it's at 2.75 seconds I believe. Would 4.5 or 6 seconds be better? And there is also a pause button if you mouse over.

Your best images (one of which is Great Falls)could be 'paused' for a longer period, but really it is personal preference: it is fine as it is, just came across to me as a little fast as I contemplated each image presented. But introducing a rapid change from a march to a long pause, back to a march and so forth will taint the viewing experience; I would angle for a 4 second pause before it transitions to the next image, making a textual point to remind the viewer they can pause or speed up the transition as they desire. I had the control overlay blocked in Javascript and can see that now.

The script for including Facebook is fairly ubiquitous today; Fb referral isn't the best vehicle for soliciting informed, educated, balanced and learned opinion, more likely an almost-billion collective of vociferous wackos each vying to the death with each other. But whatever rows your boat...

PS:
    <meta name="keywords" content="120, 4x5, 8x10, astia, awesome, easmithv, film, fine art, hasselblad, kittens, medium format, photo, photography, professional, studio"/>

The more 'tags' in the meta (reflecting actual content in the site), the more chance of Google, and other searchbots, coming across you and spending time to gather page info. Not sure where 'kittens' fits into all this though, LOL!
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 09-28-2012 at 02:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great pictures and the layout looks wonderful!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Not sure where 'kittens' fits into all this though, LOL!
    I thought it'd get me more hits
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My first (real) photography website!!!

Very nice site and excellent work. Love some of the experimental outside-the-box stuff. Will come back when I have more time. Thanks for sharing.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the Human Footprint and the Lifestyle stuff, the simple presentation works very well too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Excellent site and, more importantly, excellent work. I found it very strange (meaning contrary to my normal tastes) that I enjoyed your 35mm work so much. Thanks for sharing.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin