Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,743   Online: 1089

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I missed the math as well. It is more than twice what I pay for Aperture and Comm Arts for 2 fewer issues and half as many issues respectively .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    You're right, Jorge. I didn't have my other eyes on, and missed the £ symbol.

But, I think that focuses even tighter on the underlying issue of whether high-quality analog publications are economically feasible absent a strong advertising base to underwrite the costs of publication. If we want affordable subscription fees, we need to put up with the ads.
    I dont mind the ads, hell, I dont even mind digital ads, as long as the magazine is analog...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It does showcase some outstanding photographers ....

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    kinda pricey for me too.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Given that Aperture is well-stocked by the local library (they have quite a selection in the basement in San Jose, with a variety of titles going back to about 1900), the cost is near-zero -- just my time. I wonder if I can find a library over here stocking Next Level.

(Why do I find out about this two weeks after I'm back from the UK????)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    I dont mind the ads, hell, I dont even mind digital ads, as long as the magazine is analog...
    I assume you mean focus of content as opposed to production, Jorge. Most of the glue pots and hot wax rollers for analog production went in the dump years ago. Not enough value to go on eBay with the Hassies and the enlargers.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A long time ago (early to mid 80's) I did the keylines for the ads/brochures/etc.. that I designed. Often mounted with wax on non photo reproducible blue grid board or the truly painful striping of negs with ruby lith on flats. Even then the typesetting and some of the process colour seps were created on old monstrous dedicated digital contraptions.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    there are still people that take digitally produced page negs and strip them on to golden rod stripping paper for metal plate exposure. Mostly in the long run offset industry.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    A long time ago (early to mid 80's) I did the keylines for the ads/brochures/etc.. that I designed. Often mounted with wax on non photo reproducible blue grid board or the truly painful striping of negs with ruby lith on flats. Even then the typesetting and some of the process colour seps were created on old monstrous dedicated digital contraptions.
    John,
    I used to paste-up a newspaper by hand with wax and keylines. Oh, it was so much fun
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    John,
    I used to paste-up a newspaper by hand with wax and keylines. Oh, it was so much fun
    I've done that, and shot the pasteups on the large copy camera and hand developed the litho film and made the halftones, stripped the negs and burned the plates then loaded the press with paper, plates and ink and printed the whole thing. I worked for at least a half dozen small newspapers over the years, glad I'm out of it but life was interesting then!
    Gary Beasley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin