Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,413   Online: 965

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    On further reflection I not only can't afford these books, but also in the current economic climate I don't know anybody who can.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=coigach;1426408]
    As for getting the local library here in the UK to buy it, you'll be lucky:

Yes even in the "good times" the price quoted would make other non photographic users unlucky as well if the library were to pay that kind of price for one book.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I called Phaidon some time earlier this year, and they confirmed that an edition for the masses (smaller in physical size but complete) will be released some time in 2013. This book was originally planned as a regular release before Phaidon pulled it and made it a limited, collectors thing at this exhorbitant price. I remember the original Amazon listing, and I think the price was around $125-$150. Then the decision was made to make it a larger, limited run, with the crazy price increase.
    Last edited by Shawn Rahman; 12-18-2012 at 03:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The "limited edition" artist book is more frequently the standard now. I don't see a problem with it necessarily since print prices have gone way up in the last few years. There is a big gap between a $50 book and a $5000 print. The limited edition books fill that gap. It also helps the publisher make money, which is a good thing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is this an ad? Very much a collectors item for devotees of the photographer - and I'd guess of more interest to academically oriented aesthetes, non-photographers.
    I'm sure most here would more likely buy several individual monographs, if that kind of cash was lying around.

My hypothetical Christmas list in that respect:

1. Mark Power - 26 Different Endings (£40)
    2. Jem Southam - The River Winter (£40)
    3. Viviane Sassen - Parasomnia (£25)
    4. Paul Strand - Un Paese: Portrait of an Italian Village (£40)
    5. Walker Evans - American Photographs (£20)
    6. Seduced By Art: Photography Past and Present (£30)
    7. Mark Steinmetz - South Central (£140)
    8. Eliot Porter - In the Realm of Nature (£30)
    9. Sense of Place: European Landscape Photography (£30)
    10. Darren Almond - Nocturne (£45)

Total = £440

Some of those books are also destined to become classics, the Steinmetz and Sassen in particular would be a worthwhile investment, the Paul Strand book is a rarity.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Is this an ad? Very much a collectors item for devotees of the photographer - and I'd guess of more interest to academically oriented aesthetes, non-photographers.
    I'm sure most here would more likely buy several individual monographs, if that kind of cash was lying around.

My hypothetical Christmas list in that respect:

1. Mark Power - 26 Different Endings (£40)
    2. Jem Southam - The River Winter (£40)
    3. Viviane Sassen - Parasomnia (£25)
    4. Paul Strand - Un Paese: Portrait of an Italian Village (£40)
    5. Walker Evans - American Photographs (£20)
    6. Seduced By Art: Photography Past and Present (£30)
    7. Mark Steinmetz - South Central (£140)
    8. Eliot Porter - In the Realm of Nature (£30)
    9. Sense of Place: European Landscape Photography (£30)
    10. Darren Almond - Nocturne (£45)

Total = £440

Some of those books are also destined to become classics, the Steinmetz and Sassen in particular would be a worthwhile investment, the Paul Strand book is a rarity.
    The OP was not an ad, i agree that you can buy many great books for that price however I am a bibliophile and do like to own quite special books with original prints. I wrote an article a few years ago about original print photobooks, if you read it you will see why I am passionate about books with high production values. Those interested can download a copy here
    Last edited by Davec101; 12-24-2012 at 01:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too am a bit of a Meyerwitz fan. Not sure if its a good price, but I have seen it advertised in Australia for $300 AU:

http://www.coop-bookshop.com.au/book...FWdKpgodmEoAPw

(either that, or this is the edition 'for the masses')

EDIT - but its sold out...doh!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the price the're charging Meyorowitz can afford to "Take His Time".
    Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin