Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,522,987   Online: 1150

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photography magazines: Daylight

Here's another magazine that I haven't seen mentioned here: http://www.daylightmagazine.org/

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    This is a really good little magazine (in size, not content). I bought the first issue and plan to buy other issues if they are as good as #1. Highly recommended in this world of really poor "photography" magazines. It'll supplement your Lenswork and B&W magazines quite nicely. I just hope they can make a go of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found issue #5 today in the racks, and never saw it before. I'm really impressed: the images are powerful without being manipulative tear-jerkers, and the printing is just incredibly gorgeous.

It's like Lenswork with more immediate issues or Aperture with less conceptual art. There is a bit of artspeak (after all, they are of the new documentary school: large format, color, deadpan, Düsseldorf-style imagery, etc) but not so much that it becomes a distraction.

I am also impressed by their community initiatives, one of which being a small darkroom in the Philippines town of Batangas. They are always looking for donated equipment, and have some ten enlargers setup.

I'm going to subscribe because it is such an awesome magazine in all respects. Perhaps we should invite them to APUG: it seems to me that a lot of the photography they publish is on film, and the community darkroom obviously runs on silver.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Seem to be a bit "bi-polar":

The "Altruistic" Pose:

"In addition to publishing Daylight Magazine, our organization strives to assist underrepresented communities by sharing with them the power of photography. By distributing cameras, establishing darkroom facilities, and administering photographic workshops, DCAF hopes to bring the empowering aspects of self-representation to marginalized groups. "

The "Bottom Line":

"We are currently looking for Street Team recruits in the US and UK. If you would like to take part in guerilla media tactics, advertising blitzes, and public art initiatives, please write to us at info@daylightmagazine.org for information on receiving our indy media start up kit."

-----

So, are they going to put "bomb-like" electronic doodad boxes all over Boston and then take pictures of the resulting "official mayhem" as a "guerilla media tactic"? BTW: "Guerilla", "empower", "marginalized" - are there any cliches missing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    So, are they going to put "bomb-like" electronic doodad boxes all over Boston and then take pictures of the resulting "official mayhem" as a "guerilla media tactic"? BTW: "Guerilla", "empower", "marginalized" - are there any cliches missing?
    No, not really bi-polar, just the usual bleeding heart liberal talk

"Self-respect", "community", "dialog", "long-lasting change", "platform", pretty much all of the words they use is laden with some wooden tongue.

But oh well! at least they are not trying to semiotize the body politic of embedded repression in transgendered identities during the postcolonial struggle for de-realization of Otherness oppression. They're pretty mild as far as clichés go, and they have great, meaningful pictures.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin