Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,290   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format

A hope for UK magazine Black+White Photography !?

In their latest issue ( B+W144 December 2012 ) , editor Elizabeth Roberts writes in the editor's letter that her Assistant Editor, Jemima Greaves, announced that she wanted to do proper photography . To make a long story short, it seems like she wasn't met with enthusiasm but insisted and Elizabeth helped her to find a darkroom and got her started. Jemima has now gained more respect and curiosity from her colleagues and there are obviously more analogue dicusions going on at the editorial office . I'm sure this will not turn the magazine into an all analogue but a slightly increased recognition of traditional photography certainly helps. I will send Jemima a supporting e-mail.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good news. It went downhill when Ailsa left (I don't think I have bought it since then). I know it will never be what it used to be but it might be better than it is now.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem about photography magazines is that they debate between gadgetery for gearheads, technical explanations and being a pure art magazine. I let my subscription expire about 2006 or 2007, there it was little things for me because I'm not a collector, a gearhead, nor a digital user looking for better conversions to monochrome & printing them; interviews were less and less interesting than when I suscribed.

It might be just me, but finding the balance between profitability and what an old dog will want in a magazine should be a hard target.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finding the right mixture to interest as much readers (or rather buyers) as needed to be profitable is difficult.
    In Germany short ago an analogue-only printed photo-magazine started! In such case there even won't be advertisers with large budgets.
    (If you go their website, the first thing you see in center meanwhile is an ad by Tetenal...)

http://www.photoklassik.de/
    Last edited by AgX; 11-13-2012 at 06:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem is they've been turning away good analog articles from people who were once regular contributors and in their place running truly awful digital articles on how to recreate analog processes.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF

A hope for UK magazine Black+White Photography !?

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Finding the right mixture to interest as much readers (or rather buyers) as needed to be profitable is difficult.
    In Germany short ago an analogue-only photo-magazine started! In such case there even won't be advertisers with large budgets.
    (If you go their website, the first thing you see in center meanwhile is an ad by Tetenal...)

http://www.photoklassik.de/
    Shame that its only in German, looking at the contents, it looks very interesting and something that I would definately subscribe to if available in an English version copy (like LFI)!

Christian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or learn German!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As did Eastman, as did Gevaert...

Shooter
    35mm
    This might start analogue discussions amongst the staff and might( this is much less certain than the first might) produce a few more analogue articles, especially about her learning trials and tribulations( good human interest) but it is what the market demands that counts and unfortunately we are not the market.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Playing the Devils Advocate here, the magazine is on the market with the intention of making money for the publishers. Digital imagary is the greater interest now than B&W or colour darkroom work, so unfortunately we analogue users get left out. There is now a generation of photographers (I use the term very very loosely) who do not have slightest idea what good photography is. They depend on the skills of the program writers rather than developing skills of their own. Each to their own, if it pleases them so be it.

I ran a couple of photographic quiz's at my last club and the 1st year I did it they all complained it was too hard. The 2nd year the complaints were all about why I always asked questions about 'ordinary out of date things' and not digital. 70% of the questions were digital and they still found them hard. The simply have no idea!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin