Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,541   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Central Camera in "Country Living"

My wife noticed an interesting page in her most recent Country Living magazine and drew it to my attention.

It is a one page feature on page 114 of the February 2013 issue.

It features Central Camera in Chicago.

I've attached a scan - with some reservations, given issues of copyright.

It makes me think that the photographic information I'm likely to find interesting and relevant is less and less likely to be found in the locations where I used to find it.
    Attached Files
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

"Country Living" inside the Chicago Loop?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "...anachronistic supplies like lenses ..."

It seems optical technology passed me by, big time, and I didn't even notice.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I go there every time I'm in Chicago. They've given up on selling modern cameras, but have a great selection of old ones. They've been in business since something like 1895. Last time I was there I bought several 120 rolls of ISO 3200 film, so I could shoot my Voigtlander Bessa down in the subways.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Didn't you hear?

The new digital light rays can't be imaged by older analog glass lenses. Nobody uses analog light anymore. Where have you been hiding??

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for sharing - that's wonderful to see!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are welcome

My wife tells me that this is the sort of thing the magazine does regularly - a short feature on a remarkable small business.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree it is great to see a camera store like that.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Central is a gem and something I cherish! Anyone comes to the city be sure to check it out. Vivian Maier was a Central customer!
    Andy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    My wife noticed an interesting page in her most recent Country Living magazine and drew it to my attention.

It is a one page feature on page 114 of the February 2013 issue.

It features Central Camera in Chicago.

I've attached a scan - with some reservations, given issues of copyright.

It makes me think that the photographic information I'm likely to find interesting and relevant is less and less likely to be found in the locations where I used to find it.
    Does your wife work for the magazine? How does she have the February 2013 issue... Is she a time traveler?

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin