Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,869   Online: 1119

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb_z5
    I'll second Les Mclean's book, 'Creative Black and White Photography'.

Mike
    Third. Full of good stuff, easy to read
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    I wondered if one (or more) of you would mind discussing what you like about Way Beyond Monochrome. It was my understanding that a lot of the book covers digital and photoshop manipulation as opposed to traditional film work.
    Sam

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know who led you to believe that a lot of the book covers digital and photoshop maniupluation., but i think that is incorrect.
    With almost 300 pages, digtial is discussed within 4 pages.

The book is more advanced than just a basic beginners book, which may or maynot suit your style. There is quite a bit of technical knowledge , which i like; however, if you don't care for this type of infomration, I would suggest you pass ; however, if you do enjoy the more technical aspects of photography it is a great reference book .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can 2nd the vote for both Bruce Barnbaums (look for a 1st edition it has prints in it) and for Rudmans - The Photographers Master Printing Course. Still have to pick Les's book and the Way Beyond MonoChrome book.
    Mike C

Rambles

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nick,

Rudman´s book "The Photographer's Master Printing Course" is back in print since August 2004 (in China, as many photo books are today) - "reviving" the market and lowering the prices of used issues.

Ari,

I´d recommend Larry Bartlett & Jon Rudman, "Larry Bartlett's Black and White Photographic Printing Workshop". Got it at the Photokina at the Hove Books stand for 25EUR after lusting for it for weeks.

Bartlett was not only a good printer (no photographer!), he knew how to teach it - there is a special and useful scheme in the book.

One page shows the result, one the plain print and the steps to achieve the result, explaining all the tricks in text and images.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In addition to ones already mentioned, I found quite a few interesting techniques and ideas in "Creative Elements: Landscape Photography-Darkroom Techniques"
    by Eddie Ephraums
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    Nick,

Bartlett was not only a good printer (no photographer!), he knew how to teach it - there is a special and useful scheme in the book.
    Sadly missed. I believe he printed for David Bailey.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nick,

Rudman´s book "The Photographer's Master Printing Course" is back in print since August 2004 (in China, as many photo books are today) - "reviving" the market and lowering the prices of used issues.
    Well they're making my new camera so they're reviving more then the book market-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Elements of Black & White Photography by George Todd is similar to Adams Examples book. He uses the making of 20 B&W prints to explain various aspects of photography & darkroom techniques.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Roy,

what actually happened to Bartlett? Illness, an accident? I know he died before the book was published.
    My understanding is neither of those.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin