Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,186   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edward Hopper

Shooter
    Multi Format

Edward Hopper

I was browsing the bookstores earlier in the week and I looked at a Taschen book of Edward Hopper whos work I love.

For the first time it occured to me that the style and feel of many of his pictures would work beautifully as black and white photographs. Needless to say I came away with it and am now working my way through it digesting as much as I can.

So I got to thinking are there any non-photographic books that have inspired your photography?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have several art books that I regularly peruse. I think just looking at the old masters can be a source of inspiration. Leonardo, Carravaggio, Rembrandt are good examples. More recently, Degas, Manet, and Millet are all some of my favorites. Their is the whole history of art to draw from! I also think, that drawing and painting yourself, will improve you observational skills, and benefit your photography.

Ooo... almost forgot... Georges de la Tour! I've been working with candle photos lately, I should look him up again! Thanks for starting this thread Tony, got me thinking!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rembrandt is a main inspirator when it comes to lighting.
    But when it comes to imagination and ideas for my shots I like H.R. Giger! I like his style and the moods.

See his stuff here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anything by Kurt Vonnegut or Henry Miller. They both have a very palpable sense of courage in their writing that inspires me to step outside of my own comfort zone when shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Tony, we must have been looking at about the same time..just different parts of the world. Of course I walked out of the bookstore with a nice Paul Strand Southwest book by Aperture. Lots of early stuff from the 20's and 30's. And some images that I have seen the actual prints of, so the reproductions are pretty close to the original plt/pld. Non-photographic books..they are all photogrpahic books to me - if they have photos in them, otherwise they are just a novel/bio etc.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love much of Hopper's work. You're right, Tony, about his paintings making good black and white photos. They also look like scenes from film noir. A lot of mystery and use of light.

As far as non-photographic books, I get photo inspiration from travel guides and maps. I always wonder what's down those roads when I look at a map.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hopper is one of my favorites - also the Wyeths
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rembrandt was my first influence followed by the impressionists and the Wyeth family,, in fact when I visit my friends in Philadelphia I always visit the Brandywine Museum to see the collection. However, by far the most influencial artist in photography is Mark Rothko.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rothko; a very spiritual/contemplative artist. But I also like Gottlieb (sp?) as well for his figure/ground abstractions.
    Another influence on my photography was/is the drawing of Ingres - just remarkable stuff. His paintings are to academic/formulaic for me though.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The painter who inspired me early on was Georgia O'Keefe. Specifically, her painting of the opening of a tent with the night sky. Being able to see something transcendent in such a mundane scene was stunning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin