Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,893   Online: 1006

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fred
    Daniel, why don't they talk about 'Barytes Prints Gallery' or 'Fiber Prints Gallery' or simply B&W Prints Gallery or something like that...
    Beats me! You'll have to ask them. I, too, am not in tune with the magazine's name but I cannot brush them off so summararily just because there might be some digital this or that. They are quite open, seems to me, to film-based photography so lets all of us swamp them with analog photography and maybe that'll make the digits go elsewhere.

I am definitely giving them a try for now and we'll see what happens 6, 7, 8 issues from now. If I don't like what they do then, I'll drop em. Simple as that.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Undue pain and suffering..

It appears that this is a college level production. Reading through the first article, which is a bit trite at times, most of the interviews were with what appears to be students and faculty.

The magazine seems to be promoting the idea only B/W photographs are considered fine prints. An idea that I'm sure the color film users here will dispute or be offended by.

This posting is an obvious attempt at free promotion. Unfortunately the promoter appears to have not studied the demographics of APUG and may have brought some undue criticism upon the publication. An understanding of the acronym used in this sites title might have given an indication of the audience.

Anyway, this may be the dawn of a new niche in the digital/hybrid workflow, the B/W inkjet print...it may be our not too distant future.

-Eric

Images
    In the "Sales" section, the film photographers don't seem to indicate whether they are selling photographic prints or ink jet images. I would be curious to know if they are a Digital/Traditional or Digital/Hybrid magazine. The title of the magazine is a source of confusion.
    They state that they are devoted to monochrome, they don't claim to be exclusively traditional or new tech and it appears that they are not. There is no dishonesty here. Almost all photographic magazines and websites cater to the wide interest in digtal imaging these days. That is their business model, It reminds me to appreciate APUG even more.

Quote Originally Posted by etriplett
    Anyway, this may be the dawn of a new niche in the digital/hybrid workflow, the B/W inkjet print...it may be our not too distant future.
    Not mine
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless I'm mistaken, one of the photographers quoted in an article was "Mr M S", subject of a recent thread. Apparently, he's been banned from APUG. I'm not getting a good feeling about this.

Images
    I saw that quote from "a hobbiest in Columbus, Ohio". And knew that the name was familiar, and I associated it with APUG, but I just couldn't place it.

That is too, too funny.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with you on that one. Sometimes those doomsayers get the best of me and I get paranoid...

Cheers!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    Unless I'm mistaken, one of the photographers quoted in an article was "Mr M S", subject of a recent thread. Apparently, he's been banned from APUG. I'm not getting a good feeling about this.
    SO that is why that name was familiar. Oh well.

This is not to lee

Digital output will never be in my BW future.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    As the saying goes, you dont get a second chance to make a good first impression, and judging from the web site I find this might be a hastily put together endeavor.

They list 6 "film" photographers, but 2 of them are "comming soon". Of the 4 remaining, one has images with very high resolution, even with DSL it took a looong time to load, I gave up and clicked back....another one has them with way too low resolution, they loaded quick, but looked terrible IMO.

Of the digital photographers, the ones from the female photographer did not load correctly. I kept clicking different pictures and got the same one all the time in different sizes and orientations.

I still dont know if this is an "art" magazine, a photography magazine for collectors, or a photography monograph a là Lenswork. In their preview issue they have a long article about creative writing...what is up with that? And is NY really the Mecca of the art world?....I would think Paris and London are not too shabby either...

What I really find unpardonable is the lack of originality. The "Dont color my world" article is from US News & World Report, the Connie Imboden appears to come from Photovision. So 2 out of 3 articles are reprints....and the other one is about creative writing.....I dont get it.

I dont want to rain on their parade, but their advertising rates are almost as high as those of B&W magazine for collectors.....I will give you all 3 guesses which magazine I plan to give my money to advertise...

Bottom line, I found the web site did not incite me to check the magazine out, I found it amateurish and not pleasing at all. Hopefully the magazine is better put together, but as I said, first impression was not good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fred
    B&W 'is' fiber prints.
    Ok. Then my prints are not B&W...ok...I thought they were...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The analog/digi portion of this thread is a complete yawn :/

The magazine sample, however, was deeply and movingly uncompelling. I hate having to say that, but it's true. It was profoundly devoid of thoughtful or exciting content.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin