Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,300   Online: 1196

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

interesting photos in newsweek 12/27

All,

I've been meaning to post this for a while - in the 12/27 issue of Newsweek (not sure if it's the US edition, but I presume it is), there were some interesting photos from afghanistan and, I think, iraq. There were taken with what looks like a holga (or maybe woca). They are in my gallery linked below.

While the images themselves, as holga/woca images, are kinda interesting, I am still trying to figure out why the photographer would have chosen to capture these images with such a camera. Seems odd. They aren't any more discreet, or durable, or any other trait that would make that much of a difference. Thoughts?

my gallery of scans from newsweek

Images
    were they taken by a staff photog or a local. Maybe that is all the only camera the photographer had. Let's face it they are cheap.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I often borrow Audubon magazine from the library. Last year and the year before, there was a few issues with Color holga shots. Also, there was an issue in Nat. Geo where a guy was in some jungle following monkeys and most of the shots were from a Holga

Shooter
    Large Format
    David Burnett, photojournalist, is well known to have taken up "alternative" equipment of late. I do not know if this is his work but, I would not be suprised. In anycase, it is refreshing to see. You can see more of his work at Contact Press and at David Burnett
    Last edited by GaussianNoise; 01-07-2005 at 11:59 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add link to Burnett's own gallery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin