Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,060   Online: 949

Shooter
    Medium Format

Organizing A Show

I'm interested in trying to organize a show in London, and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever produced or run an art exhibit. I don't own a gallery (or know anyone that does) and I'm not too sure about where to start. I have an idea, that's all.

I'm sure you'll be interested to know what the theme of the show is... it has to do with how women photographers represent the female form. I would look to get some prominent women photographers to submit female nude studies with comments on each one.

I may be crazy and it may never go anywhere, but I just thought this might be a good place to ask. Thanks for any comments.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you have a megabudget, hire a gallery in Cork Street for a month! If not, scout about for cheaper or free venues. Take a look at the RPS website:
    www.rps.org
    Off the top of my head, the arts center in Harrow and the Camera Club in Kennington come to mind. Local libraries, community centers, even local art galleries also possible. You will almost certainly end up in the suburbs rather than central London on a small budget, although it can't do any harm to run the idea by Zelda Cheatle and/or the Photographer's Gallery. Your subject matter may well be "right on!" enough to attract National Lottery funding. Expect it to take 15 to 18 months work to find a venue and mount the show. Good luck!

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks David, it is a bit 'politically correct' and just might atttract some outside funding. I hadn't considerred that. Cheers!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, Jay, I agree. I have no idea why I think this would be popular or even why I think that women photographers who don't normally do nudes might be interested in participating. However, I really think it would work.

Thanks for the list of names. I think I would be looking for contemporary photographers with a current view of women. However, it might be interesting to comapre and contrast that with other more traditional photographers.

Hmmm, this idea has potential to be great, but It might grow beyond me quite quickly. Oops. Nevermind, it's good to have a vision.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Add Lois Conner to the list. She had an exhibit of pregnant nudes a year ago in New York. http://www.laurencemillergallery.com...xhibition2.htm

If you can’t reach her through the gallery, she teaches photography at Princeton University and probably has an email there.

Best of luck with the show. Tell us things progress.

John Powers

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    add Ruth Bernhard to the list also.

lee\c

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin