Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,190   Online: 980

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darkroom Books

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If by darkroom you mean conventional film and paper processes, then I'd say there is very little not covered in David's list. I think Ansel's "The print" and "The negative" are a good place to start. I like Tim Rudman's explanation of flashing techniques etc. I like Way Beyond Monochrome for the practical explanation of variable contrast printing etc. Ansel's series cover mid to late 20th century materials and techniques, but there are newer materials and techniques that do not fit exactly to his way of doing things. But I must state that knowing his theory and points of departure can absolutely do no harm. It is just that there are a few newer things also to learn.

The "Cookbooks" by Anchell et al. are very, very useful. I have heard good things said about David Vestal's books. I personally have and like John Blakemore's "Black and White Photography Workshop". It gives a very easy to follow and very practical explanation of optimising exposure and development, with many beautiful images to support the theory.

If you are into alternative stuff, then Christopher James is the ultimate single resource. There are of course others, but none so complete in a single volume.

This thread has a lot of useful info: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/1...-printing.html

For a book to appeal to me, it has to contain some inspiring photographs, too. Otherwise the chemistry, technique etc can all become a bit technical and detached.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jonathan Eastland's Essential Darkroom Techniques. Covers colour and B&W from a press photographer point of view. He shares many secrets on how to be productive in your darkroom. An excellent book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    What is/are the quintessential books on darkroom processes?
    Do you mean factual information, or blabla by noted photographers?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I constantly refer to the following books

Tim Rudman - toning
    Eddie Ephrams - creative elements, and gradient light.
    Fred Picker Notes - I have all of them
    The Focal Encyclopedia of Photography
    The Darkroom Cookbook- Steve Anchell
    The Compact Photo Lab Index
    The Print - Adams
    The Film Developing Cookbook - Anchell Troop
    Darkroom2 - Lustrum Press
    The Permanance and Care of Photographs -Wilhelm and Brower
    Outline for Pt Palladium - Dick Arentz
    History and Practice of Platinum Printing - Luis Nadeau

a heavy dose of the Kodak Manuals

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I forgot to add: You might learn as much from keeping proper notes yourself. To not keep notes will be the undoing of many learning opportunities and a waste of many hours in the darkness.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd second a lot of the books above. I'd also like to add David Vestal's books. 'The Craft of Photography' and 'The Art of Black and White Enlarging'. They are a bit more basic and less inspiring than McClean's or Rudman's books, but they are very well written and cover the basics in a thorough fashion, more so than Horenstein in my opinion. Some of the info is a little out of date. However, this is all offset by the fact that you can pick them up for about $1 a piece used. Check Amazon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    CTein has made his "Post Exposure" book free for download as pdf. Check his website.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    All good choices which will serve you well ...my first darkroom book was the Darkroom Handbook by Michael Langford way back in 1984 . Once upon a time there was light in my life, now there's only love in the dark! Silver Footprint by Robin Bell ( Argentum Press) is another more recent book.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Large Format
    After absorbing Ansel’s books “The Negative” and “The Print”, I think the best source on using current materials is “Way Beyond Monochrome, 2nd ed.”. Another excellent current reference is “The Ansel Adams Guide – Basics Techniques of Photography, Book 2 by John P. Schaefer” (paperback, 386 pp.).

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again for all the recommendations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin