Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,022   Online: 915

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I don't mix photography and computers. And photos shot with digital cameras bore me. There's no intrinsic value in it; no investment. For the better or worse of it, a film picture requires an investment in the raw materials, and a risk that it might not turn out perfectly as conceived. But in the end, it is what it is. The digital photographer could simply delete it from the screen on the back of the camera and shoot another, because there is no monetary value in it; nothing to risk or lose. Fishing in a barrel or shooting deer from a stand overlooking a corn pile is not hunting.
    +1 take a look at my little manifesto, it was published in the latest issue of "News Photographer"

http://www.apug.org/forums/blogs/vpw...ite-today.html

I just saw a promotion video shot all on phone and go-pro, it was humbling, and has me thinking of opening a bagel shop. Everyone wants food and coffee?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't mix photography and computers.
    Only when you discuss photography do you mix them. ;-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    My original understanding of HDR was to expand exposure latitude (Zone System).
    The OP's observation of the pencil sketch gritty look is called "HDR", but not what I consider the original intent.
    I have seen occasional use of HDR that does work beautifully and seamlessly, and it expands the range in a print in a way that the eye does see - it brings detail back into shadows and highlights otherwise not visible in a print. When executed that way, I have no issue with it. But when it produces false colors verging on an acid trip in color photography, or goes so far as to obliterate shadows and render everything in a b/w image as if someone turned the sharpening filter to 1100%, I have major heartburn. And I'm chugging Maalox when I see a major photographic portfolio magazine rewarding that kind of work with top honors. It may be "new", but new doesn't mean good. I don't know why some folks find that aesthetically pleasing - if it were me on the panel, I would not award it with recognition, certainly not as a photograph. Perhaps if it were entered into a competition for digital illustration I would feel differently about it, but it is being presented as photography, which it really has very little at all to do with other than the fact that the starting point was a camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even when by burning and dodging with a traditional analog darkroom process if its obvious someone burned and dodged it does not work. Same with HDR. And that's the problem. So often it's so blatantly in your face and over done. Even graduated neutral density filters shot on film, if it obvious, does not work in my opinion.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The films and cameras I use don't have H.D.R., should I worry ?
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    No.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    LOL.

The day you start trying to upload to facebook from your Deardorff is when you should start worrying.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know if this has happened to any of the rest of you. But this old thread popped up in the new posts, and I saw a little green flag that shows I had 2¢ to put in, so I looked to see what my pearls of wisdom might have been. And then I read it and think--"what a jerkwater ahole", and then look over and see my own handle on it. Makes me think harder about keeping my trap shut. No use in making a jerk of oneself any more than normal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know if this has happened to any of the rest of you. But this old thread popped up in the new posts, and I saw a little green flag that shows I had 2¢ to put in, so I looked to see what my pearls of wisdom might have been. And then I read it and think--"what a jerkwater ahole", and then look over and see my own handle on it. Makes me think harder about keeping my trap shut. No use in making a jerk of oneself any more than normal.
    No Tom you're not a jerk. I was going to say something profound myself, something like "calling the zone system a form of HDR is like calling a handwritten letter a form of a text message." But I didn't want to be a jerk LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By using Pyrocat HD as a divided developer which expands the tonal range way outside what is typically possible with a standard developer is this not a HDR (High Dynamic Range) technique for film?

Typically HDR has become associated with extremely distorted digital images giving an unrealistic view of a standard subject.

The image below was a HDR image consisting of 5 digital images to control detail in both the light & dark parts of the image.

Wells Catherdral Interior HDR by Ed Bray, on Flickr

The image below was on 5x7 Foma 400 film developed in Divided Pyrocat HD to maintain detail both inside and outside of the building.

Window, Old Filter House, Tottiford by Ed Bray, on Flickr

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin